So I just started playing EVE Online.

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Wise-Ass

So I just started playing EVE Online.

Post by ValynDyral »

I'm on day 2 of my free trial, and I'm piloting an..uh...Punisher-class Frigate, I think it's called.

A bunch of you guys play the game, right? Do you have a corporation I can join? Also, some advice you might want to throw my way would not be unwelcome. So far I've just been making money via NPC agents.

Post by CEO Raith Sienar »

Red Dagger Fleet is the Corporation that I run Valyn and we accept all Exodus people. If you want the PvP Dynamic Lithium Angels is Red Dagger's Sister Corporation :P If you want in set course for Korama. Also join the chat channel Star Wars Exodus that's where every player we know in Exodus joins so we can communicate with just each other.

List of players in EVE that are from Exodus off the top of my hand.

Jenson Cole : Mace
Kris Sunrider: Mace's alt to be transfered to Kris when she gets in game
Nicholas Dreadstar: Nicholas Dreadstar
Ishmael WH: Shaggy
Machiu Troyan: Wes
Ordo: Vox
Damian Vox: Vox
“I’m sitting on my ass before a legend. I guess the reports of your death have been greatly mistaken.”

Jerec Ordin speaking to Nich Dreadstar
Wise-Ass

Post by ValynDyral »

I'm gearing my character toward PvP, in terms of skill selection and the like.

However, I'm no good at it yet as I haven't really figured out any decent tactics. Mostly fighting for me right now consists of right-click/orbit/fire weapons/hope I win.
Créateur d'Avatars

Post by Kristalina Sunrider »

I'm in a sorta similiar situation, Valyn, as I've not joined EVE myself; in a slight fear that I'd absolutely suck at playing since I've not touched any type of game even in that ballpark since my Nintendo days playing with flight simulators. Though, Mace and the majority of Red Dagger keep becoming like a fly in my ear, wanting me to join the Corp. Trust me, they'll be more than happy helping you out in game, so feel free to download TeamSpeak, if you haven't alreeady, and they can assist you with any questions you may have.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Join the non-pvp corp first, trust me heh.
Fall Into The Void

Post by Exar_Kun187 »

Eldaris Ix is my character. I've joined Red Dagger, but I haven't been back to Korama yet to confirm it.

We're probably close to the same level, though I've been playing a little bit longer. Flying a Caracal Cruiser, but using it for fairly easy missions until I get some of my skills up.

Don't go into PvP too early. I made the mistake of exploring lowsec systems, and I was killed, lost about 3 million ISK of stuff.

I'll try and remember to add you to buddies later, but right now I gotta run and catch a bus.
Nah.
Fall Into The Void

Post by Exar_Kun187 »

Valyn, what's your EVE character name?
Nah.
Wise-Ass

Post by ValynDyral »

Carth Dyral.
Fall Into The Void

Post by Exar_Kun187 »

And you're not online now? You should be eating, sleeping, and drinking EVE.
Nah.
Wise-Ass

Post by ValynDyral »

Nah, actually it's not grabbing me that much now that the newness of flying through space has passed. I might not renew after my trial membership expires.
Fall Into The Void

Post by Exar_Kun187 »

I sorta know what you mean, but I've still been enjoying it a lot, it's such a huge world with so much to learn and figure out. I've just purchased another month, we'll see how that goes.
Nah.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Don't give up too soon man. This is a game that gets more fun the more time you put into it. Plus the new big patch should be out soon and just about everything will change. Wheeeee
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Professional Lurker

Post by Wes Marrakesh »

Kali: Soon™
Professional Lurker, Amateur Photographer

Having no destination, I am never lost. - Ikkyu

my deviantART gallery
Location: Right Here. Sometimes over there, and a few places in between.

Post by DorsetKonig »

Ungh, Eve brings back to many bad memories, I remember when I Beta tested for it and how unfinished it felt. I played for a few months and was one of the first players to get a battleship when they were still the top ships, but then some pirate PvPers jumped me and I haven't come back since.
"Overwhelming odds do not always matter, especially when the valiant warrior knows his only alternative is unacceptable: Death."
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

I have been jumped a couple times but I keep going, I just am becoming stronger to beat them back next time.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Is EVE any good? I enjoyed JTLS of SWG, I might have even stayed just for that - it was a great space simulation.. And good fun... Pity the rest of SWG became utter dross... HOw much is it to play? It's pay per month I take it?

Post by CEO Raith Sienar »

It costs about the same as SWG. I'll put it this way. Flying a ship in EVE is diffeent than playing JTL or the X-Wing Games.

Much like JTL your ship begins with base stats. The Equipment you put on along with your weaponry will bring you the final results. You get from one place to another through the use of bookmarks for things over long distances.

In actual space if you're not warping all you need to do is click with your mouse and you can get your ship to move in that direction. If you click on a target you can also set your ship to orbit the craft.

From talks I've had with other people EVE is probably more compareable to Earth & Beyond. I enjoy it because of how open ended EVE is. There literally is no skill cap. It just comes down to how long you want to commit to the game due to the fact that skills are time based instead of grinding like say in Star Wars Galaxies when in order to rank your piloting skill up you had to kill off enemies for experience. Some people have tried to calculate this and came up with a figure that if you trainned every skill to level 5 continiously it'd take 5 years plus of playing EVE to do this with the current skill books.

With that said though the starting curve for EVE is just insanely wicked. Your ship that they start you with will barely get you through the tuterioul (but it will if you do it with paitiance) but after the first I'd say 90 days is when EVE is past the initial learning curve.

I've said this elsewhere but I'll repeat it. There ARE ways to speed up your overall training time if you want to train skills faster but for the first month I'd not recommend it. Get into a ship where you can run level 2 missions in comfortably and get enough of a feel that you know if you're going to stay or leave EVE. If you're going to stay at this time then pick up learning skills and Attribute Implants. Reason I say this is if you train Learning Skills from start to Advanced Learning 4 you're going to commit 1-2 months of training to the task. The payoff for these skills you won't see for a year or two and to give you a hint I'm just starting to have signs of these skills paying off with me and I'll hit my two year mark this December.

If you like games that outright encourage PvP EVE is your game and yes they have a place in game for those that are mission runners. That's what High Sec space is for.
“I’m sitting on my ass before a legend. I guess the reports of your death have been greatly mistaken.”

Jerec Ordin speaking to Nich Dreadstar
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Sounds interesting! I never played earth and beyond mind... To be honest after the debacle of SWG I'm reluctant to go back to pay per play. My best bet would probably actually be simply to buy another Guildwars campaign.... I keep thinking about buying Factions, I fancy the oriental setting, I don't find the additional character classes inspiring though...

So maybe Nightfall? One option is get hold of a WoW client and play it on a private server... I know it might be clunky and awkward... But I desperately don't want to get into pay per play at the moment. I'm in the process of building a house, I'm mega busy with my business.. .I have to get my gaming in when I can...
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

you can try Eve for free for 16 days. just goto www.eve-online.com and sign up for the free trail. There you go man. No strings attatched.
-C.S. Lewis
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

You can try WoW for $1. It's a 14-day trial DVD that you can pick up at most gaming/electronic stores.

I've heard that the private servers are uber laggy and clunky, and it really takes the MMO out of the game, but that's all heresay. :P
"Mr. T once defeated Chuck Norris in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. In retaliation, Chuck Norris invented racism." -- my brother
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

That's "hearsay".

You can't just hear it and say it, you know. ;)
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

Lies. All lies I say! :P
"Mr. T once defeated Chuck Norris in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. In retaliation, Chuck Norris invented racism." -- my brother
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

I am currently total obsessively playing Guitar Hero on the PS2. Unusual really - not much of a console gamer of late... But I find it strangely addictive... So far I've completed all of the main songs apart from Expert Level Bark at the Moon, Frankenstein and Cowboys from Hell...

I'm currently trying to 5 star the entire Medium level normal song set, only two songs stand in the way, Bark at the Moon and Cowboys from Hell...

I only bought the stupid thing a few weeks ago and I've nearly worn the controller out... It's good because I don't get much time to sit down for a long gaming session like MMORPG tend to require, so I can grab ablast here and there...

Post by Gonesolo »

ValynDyral wrote:I'm gearing my character toward PvP, in terms of skill selection and the like.

However, I'm no good at it yet as I haven't really figured out any decent tactics. Mostly fighting for me right now consists of right-click/orbit/fire weapons/hope I win.
Main reason I quit Eve tbh. Even after 6 months or so play combat was still as above. There are little or no tactics to Eve. Two combat maneuvers orbit and close. In the end it boils down to your equipment selection. Absolutly no chance for anything else to make a difference really.

Tried it, played it, dumped it.

Advise you do the same.
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

Wow cause there is so much more to combat then that. Equipment is a very big deal just like in any game, if you got the wrong stuff on you, it could be fatal.

Take for instance myself two days ago. I got jumped by 4 ships. (blackbird, moa, and two frigates) I was in my tempest and with all of them coming after me, they barely took down shields before my crew showed up and then those guys ran from one little interceptor. Now, it was very obvious that they were not set up right and they have been able to take me down had the been kitted right.

The bad thing was, those four were the scouts for a twenty man group which I fell victom to :(. Oh well now I am just building my funds back up and ravaging some wanna be pirates. So far so good :twisted:

Oh and Gonesolo just cause you hated the game, don;t ruin it for others cause some of us are loving it.
-C.S. Lewis
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Post by Gonesolo »

Yea your right Shaggy. Apologies to all for my last post seeming so down. I was posting from work and had one hell of a week. Guess it just all finally got to me.

Anyway Eve is a decent game, I may go back one day but i stand by my coments that i think there could be a bit more tactics brought in to the combat.

None the less the systems that are there are good and I've been keeping up with the upcoming expansion somewhat. future looks bright alright.
Professional Lurker

Post by Wes Marrakesh »

You try beating a blasterboat with autocannons by going up close and orbiting. Or just orbiting, cause if he fires his MWD and speeds at you, your autopilot will react too slowly, you'll be webbed (can't move away) and he'll own you.

Yes, there is more to navigation than orbit and keep at range. :P
Professional Lurker, Amateur Photographer

Having no destination, I am never lost. - Ikkyu

my deviantART gallery
One of a Kind Bachelor
Location: Follow the shivers running down your spine (okay, so I'm in the doghouse)

Post by Maul_Junior »

my subscription is gone, since I'm waiting for Gallente industrial 5, which will finish about December 5 or so.

I'm considering getting WoW to tide me over
Jack Thompson wrote:I think I’ve got a First Amendment right to annoy people
Some people hate Canadians...Two of my favorite Science Fiction Characters are Canadian: Rodney McKay and Deadpool.

Deadpool+Siryn 4ever