Orphan Princess (Limited Series)

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Orphan Princess (Limited Series)

Post by Mir »

“You’re really annoying, you know that?”

Elle looked up from her bed on her side of the room. The other occupant was sitting in a chair, swiveling around and staring up at the ceiling.

“Why is that?” She asked.

“Oh, good God, come on.” Esme replied, tossing the little rubber ball she held in her hand up in to the air and then catching it. “You’re quite possibly the most annoying person in this place.” She caught the ball and then sat up. Her leather jacket shifted as she moved in the seat. “What do you say you stop working on that homework and we get out of this place for a little while?” She asked.

Elle rolled her eyes. “We both know I’m not going to do that.” She replied.

The other girl nodded. “See? Annoying.”

Elle, shifting her textbook to the side, put her pencil between her two index fingers, studying it for a moment. “I think the word you’re looking for, is boring. But boring is fun. Boring gets good grades, and boring doesn’t get in trouble.”

“I like annoying.” Esme replied. “I’ll consider boring though.”

The two of them were in their room, a bed on each side. There wasn’t a clear line of demarcation but it was a bit obvious which side belonged to which girl. One was definitely brighter and most certainly neater. The other had a semblance of controlled chaos and had far darker hues. Then again, Elle was wearing a rather bright red and yellow ensemble, whereas Esme was weather a black leather jacket, a black tank top, and black yoga pants. Esme hopped up from the chair and walked over, looking at the textbook.

“Didn’t we already have our world history midterm?” She asked.

Elle beamed up at her. “Yeah, but there’s nothing like being prepared.”

The other girl groaned and fell backwards, collapsing on to her bed. She looked out of the window and waited. “It’s almost time.”

“You know, I don’t like it when you do this.” Elle said.

Esme made a face that only she could see. “You’ll be alright.”

“Where do you even go, anyway?” She asked.

“Mind your business, Eleanor.”

Elle primly picked up her textbook and went back to work. But as the clock got closer to the time, she looked over at their alarm clock a bit nervously. It was true. She really didn’t like it when Esme snuck out of the house. The sisters who ran St. Francis’ Home for Young Girls ran a rather tight ship and had many rules. Rules that Esme flaunted, to the point that Eleanor had to wonder whether doing so was something she enjoyed. The two girls were diametrically opposed in personality and style, but due to the closeness of their first names, they had been lumped together and had roomed together for years. Eleanor Francesca Walker and Esme Maria Gatto, two unrelated girls who had become sisters after living together for over ten years.

Both of them were orphans, and both of them were looking for placement in a foster home. Where Eleanor was doing her best to always be ready to find a home willing to take her in, Esme seemed far less inclined. Almost as if she’d resigned herself to being in the orphanage. The clock struck ten at night and the lights started going out around the orphanage. Esme grinned and rolled off the bed.

“Looks like that’s my cue.” She said. “Don’t wait up for me, sis.” Esme added, grabbing her black backpack and fishing goggles out of them.

“What time will you be back?” Elle asked as Esme reached the window and lifted it so she could escape the confines of their second story bedroom.

“I dunno.”

“How about four?” Elle asked. “That gives you a solid six hours and since it’s a Friday night, you can sleep in on Saturday and we can talk algebra in the afternoon.”

The girl she considered family was perched on the ledge, looking out over the part of New York City they called home. Esme turned and gave Elle a look over her shoulder. “You were wrong. Definitely annoying.” She said and dropped backwards out of sight.

“Have fun!” Elle said, cheerfully waving.

She heard a muffled “I hate you.” from Esme, who was scaling down the side of the building.