The Journey Home: A Fracturing of Worlds OOC

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryngles

The Journey Home: A Fracturing of Worlds OOC

Post by Pryde »

Don't know if anyone's still watching these forums, but just in case I'll do the usual song and dance. Here's all the info about the thread;

This story is partly inspired by Log Horizon and partly inspired by a web series called AFK (highly recommend it). It's a story about a group of gamers who suddenly find themselves in the game world inside the bodies of their characters. While I absolutely adore Log Horizon this story probably draws more influence from AFK in that death is permanent here. Unlike AFK the world the players find themselves in is very much alive. The NPCs are real people with laws and religious beliefs, hopes and dreams. They're almost completely indistinguishable from players except that they know nothing of the modern world. Their whole history is based off the lore written for the game by the developers (which I haven't exactly written out yet... >.> ).

There are no game mechanics in this world. No menus, no respawns (except for minions of the--let's call it dark one, which I'll explain later). Once an NPC or player are killed they're gone. Magic is very much a thing in this world and I imagine it works similarly to Eragon. Say a couple words of power and something happens. I don't have a language for this yet but since I'm making it up as I go let's say it's Elvish. Casting spells uses your own stamina, just as it does in Eragon. Cast too many spells, or a spell that's too powerful and you could kill yourself.

The game, Chronicles of Ailelle (pronounced Ale-Ell) isn't class-based but rather skill-based. Instead of killing monsters and earning experience to level your class you use a particular skill over and over again to level it up. At least that's how it worked before the blackout. In the game world there are no skills. If you want to learn how to swing a sword or cast magic then practice practice practice, just like the real world. Having said that, though, occupying your character's body doesn't magically endow you with their knowledge. Scarlett's character is equipped with daggers but she doesn't really know how to use them beyond sticking the pointy end in the other guy. She can, however, still pick pockets because it's something she did in the real world. So real world experience will still come in handy. Some things can be improvised, though, the words of power used to cast magic are the same words of power used in the game, so if your character has a good memory you could potentially get a head start.

I don't really have an overall plan for the story just yet, I have an idea for what's going to happen in my next post but beyond that nadda. I'm pretty open to people offering suggestions, so if you want to add a city, town, or race and help me flesh out the world then please feel free to. It's traditional fantasy so pretty much any race from D&D will work. I'm extremely flexible so don't feel like you have to ask me for permission every time. Unless of course you want to kill off a character, in which case maaaaybe talk to me first. Scarlett is my PoV character and I have plans for Damien to be a recurring villain for a bit so they're basically the only characters right now who are off-limits to killing.

Oh, I almost forgot! The monsters! I mentioned monsters are the only thing that respawn. I considered making death permanent for them too, but then I thought about how that would leave a bunch of empty dungeons everywhere. >.> I don't really want them to just pop into existence out of thin air, though, so I'm probably going to borrow Breath of the Wild's blood moon thing. I really loved the execution of it and I think it's a perfect example of how the game's lore effects the reality of this world. The monsters respawn because the developers wrote it into the story, but it's the power of the dark one that brings them back. So killing him could end the cycle. That might give the story a bit of direction beyond trying to find a way home.

One last thing, if you'd like to play a character that's actually from this world you're totally welcome to. Like I said, the world and its people are absolutely real, which is something the players are probably going to be slow to react to. People tend to be pretty dismissive of NPCs in games so expect some NPC abuse to run rampant for awhile. There are kingdoms and justice systems in place. The game had a reputation system for handling PKers. Killing someone while in an area controlled by a specific faction lowered your reputation with that faction. Now that the game is real those crimes are still remembered by the NPCs but the players who committed them are only known to them by their character name. So you could theoretically find a wanted poster in town for someone named Bootylicious69, or something, iono. ><
Last edited by Pryde on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
Pryngles

Re: The Journey Home: A Fracturing of Worlds OOC

Post by Pryde »

Updated the OP with like actual info about the story and stuff. >.>
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.