Beyond the Rim

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Re: Beyond the Rim

Post by Halcyon508 »

"But there is a chain of command." Alana said in response to all of this. "Mikhail is in charge." She was firm in her resolve. All of them of course had secret orders to keep the boy safe and watch for signs of the darkside. Alana and Chet were both told that should mikhail turn they had full sanction to take any actions that might be needed, but over the past few weeks she had grown to care for the slightly younger boy. "We should let this play out. If we go running off and separating every time something happens what kind of trust is that showing? We should trust Mikhail!"

Quorl looked down his beak at the young woman. "Perhaps she's right but still I feel we should try to do something."

The Nezumi still clung to Keira's shoulder as she walked up and down the hallway. "That brother of yours." he said. "He remind-looks alot like a light haired Lei." the old mouse chuckled and then said, "I remember when the boy-prince was born, I never thought something so huge-large could be cute!" Taking a seat on Keira's shoulder he added, "You Sage-family are all alike in many ways. The Prince, the Emperor, Mikhail, and you. You all care about family-clan."
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"If the Emperor cares about family then why is he making me fight," Keira replied irritably. She had hoped the little rat would leave her alone after her outburst but instead he insisted on riding on her shoulder. First Serenity and now this? What was it exactly that these pint-sized hairy creatures saw in her? "And what are the rules of this fight? Do they expect me to kill Alliera? That's absurd. Fighting to absolve yourself of shame, or disgrace, or whatever... It's stupid! Why romanticize violence like that? Fighting isn't about honor or pride or anything neat and pretty like that. It's about survival, killing the other guy before he kills you. It's dirty, messy and unpleasant. It's people like that that are what's wrong with the galaxy. Their idea of war is--,"

She stopped suddenly and stared at Scritch blinking. "Why am I even telling you this," she asked in utter confusion.

Post by Halcyon508 »

"Emperor-Lord make you fight for honor." He said quickly to the comment. "The Emperor wants you to be honored." The little rat Scritch Scrat stood and nodded his head. "War and duels of honor are much different." He said with conviction. "The rules of war are easy-simple, you find the enemy, you hit-attack them as hard as you can and as fast as you can and you move on causing as much destruction-damage in your path-wake." Nodding he further added, "A Duel-fight is an art form. You pit your will-skill against the will-skill of others." He pulled out his sword and flashed it in front of Keira's eyes, "You fight with blade-sword not light-sword." He said, "I know good smith who has forged-made and will pay for you." Showing off his blade he then added, "Many types of duel-fight. To first contact, to first blood, to submission, and to the death-kill. You are a member of the Kuge, for Alleria to kill you would be a crime." Frowning he added, "Custom dictate-tells that this would be fight to first blood or submission." He chattered and bit down on his teeth and quickly added, "I can teach-show you art of the sword."
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"I do trust Mikhail," said Benna. "And I'd like to think Mikhail trusts me, after this long together. If he were here, sure, he wouldn't want me going off by myself. He'd want to go with me, and failing that, someone he trusted -- someone who was like family to him. He would want Quorl to go with me. Which works, anyways. If I'm tracking, I need to move fast, and I mean very fast. Quorl, you can keep up easily, and keep watch over me from the air. Will you do it?"

Post by Halcyon508 »

"But..." Alana said, "The Emperor said it was a task only Mikhail could do... What makes you think you can succeed?"
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"I once tracked a Cult of Shadow courier that very much did not want to be found. I've hunted Sith, found survivors buried under hundreds of tons of rubble, chased people across star systems. I was taught by the very best there is. I've got Keetael ritual hunts under my belt, two Ube-tel. There's nobody on the Jade Empire's side that can find an uber-Forcer who doesn't want to be found...nobody except me. My mother trained these people, remember? She knew their strengths and their weaknesses. The only tracker they have who's halfway decent is Kalo-Kaa, and this Hagron would sense him coming a mile away."
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"I--can't use a sword," Keira replied sheepishly, "The weight's all off and I don't have time to get used to it before the duel. I'd probably be better off fighting her barehanded."

Post by Halcyon508 »

Scritch frowned a little bit and then thought. "None the less, it is required. We should go to the Smith now." the prediciment wasn't exactly unique. Many didn't really know how to use swords and so lost the duel. But for the Emperors own family. "I thought you Sage's were top-good martial artists?" He asked as the woman started walking with his prescribed directions. A simple little train would take them from the Palace to the Market where he would procure a sword from his smith friend.

Alana frowned, "It just feels wrong going without Mikhail. You heard the Emperor. How will you even get this recluse to come here? Wasn't Mikhail supposed to be the one whose unique position could convince him?"
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"You weren't listening. Mikhail was the one who might spark his curiosity and pull him out of hiding. If I get his attention, I can show him Mikhail...in my head. It's a Fallanassi trick my dad showed me."

Post by Halcyon508 »

Alana sat there and frowned. It wasn't fair! Why couldn't she be the hero to save the day? And why was this Padawan upstart showing her up. She pouted a bit and then finally said, "Fine. I agree. You can go. But hurry up and get our boy out of this jam!"
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Wasn't asking you. Quorl?"

The Rishii hooted agreement, and they were off.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

With Quorl at her back, Benna wandered the halls of the Shang Ra'la until she spotted a Household Guardsman who looked familiar. She paused behind the corner, staring into nothing. Had she seen him at the Convocation on Deiron, or during her brief time with Kalo-Kaa after she emerged from the Warp? Or was it one of her mother's memories, a gift from Darius Malakai via Rach? In some faint sense, she recognized these halls, these people. But was that man's name Kusanagi or Hirohito?

She squared her shoulders and went around the corner. The Household Guardsman caught her eye and recognized her intent. He bowed fractionally, with a tiny smile. "What can I do for you, Jedi Kol-Rekali, Jedi Quorl?"

Quorl rustled his feathers and stepped back, letting Benna take point. "I was wondering if my mother's X-Wing was still in storage here."

"Kuroichi? Black One? Yes, it's parked in the Empress's private hangar until it's transferred to the Unification Museum. Would you like to see it?"

"Yes. Well, no-"

"Ah. You need to go somewhere. By yourself, and quickly."

She found herself grinning. "It seems the best thing for everyone."

Curiosity glinted in the Guardsman's eyes. "And where would you be going? If, say, I was able to arrange transportation for the daughter of my sensei?"

"No, no -- you're on a roll. You're a Patriot, so your instincts should be good. What could possibly help this situation?"

The Household Guardsman tilted his head and unfocused his eyes. Benna sensed a stirring in the Force, and Quorl clucked approvingly. The Guardsman spoke. "It seems to me there are no Jedi Masters around who might intervene or mediate. But no, you're a child of this Empire. You know things will proceed as they should. No, you're looking to set up the aftermath. Ah. You're going to try to find Hagron. By yourself."

"Can it be done?" asked Quorl.

"The old prawn knows the ins and outs of Trevel'ka better than anyone. When you're on his tail, well, you never entirely know whether you're really on his tail. But your mother told me how your father trained you. And your mother was...tenacious. How fast are you across the obstacle course on Ossus?"

"Three seconds above average."

"And the...secondary course?"

She flashed back to the unofficial secondary course, through the treetops near the Temple. She never tired of watching Knights and Masters try it. "Oh, you know about that? I helped build that."

"Maybe you're fast enough after all. And bringing in the galaxy's most avowed pacifist can only help. It'll certainly speed things up after the duel. I would offer whatever support you needed, but Hagron would sense us coming. Sometimes I think it's like a game to him, evading the Patriots. It must be a tough life, his. Anyway, Masters Jedi, will you come with me? The Patriots have a fast courier on standby."

The Whirlwind-class touched down in a cloud of smog, on hard-packed mine tailings between shacks. Shacks and dilapidated larger buildings, some of them very old, packed the landscape. Brown filth choked the air. On the skyline, arcological structures jutted up into the dingy sky: the stargate to Faran's Hold, the JEAF recruitment center, various gigantic factories, and the Iron Crown Productions facilities. A Raka Kiri Patriot unbuckled its feathered self from the drop couch and passed Benna a humanoid-style breath mask, tight to the lower jaw. "You will need this if you are to run so long, daughter-of-storms."

"Daughter of storms." She buckled on the mask and spoke through it. It sounded normal. "There's a Jade Empire supercarrier called Mother of Storms. Is it...named after my mom?"

"Yes. Good luck, child."

Quorl had no breath mask, nor would he be exerting himself to the same level. Besides, he was better than her at poison neutralization. The Rishii tapped down the gangplank and took to the skies, soaring above Benna's head. Benna glanced back at the Patriot; the black-feathered Raka Kiri flipped her a wingtip salute, and the Whirlwind-class lifted off.

She closed her eyes. Through the miasma of fear, hope, despair, anger and fun that defined these slums, she sensed another influence, as subtle as her father's Fallanassi stylings. Picking a direction on instinct, she began to run between the shacks, over and through fallen structures. This planet was the Uul'ba-Rai homeworld, but the geovores had no use for ecology. Thousands of years of habitation had left buildings all over the world, some broken and others new. She climbed walls, skidded down sloped rooftops, jumped from building to building, following the...

Well, following something.

Post by Halcyon508 »

The Nezumi and Keira finally reached the Swordsmith. The Nezumi jumped from Keira's shoulder and climbed over the kiosh and examined some blades. He then whispered something in the Smiths ear and the two shared a little laugh. "He has a blade for you." The Nezumi said. "Even if you don't use it, it is a symbol, a sign." He thought for a moment as he pulled out a small micrichit from his bag and handed it to the man. "Perhaps we should purchase one for your brother. A gift yes?" The Smith looked at the rack and pulled down an expertly crafted Kiai'ta. The grim man handed it the young woman and exchanged a glance with the miniscule Nezumi. "Of course the more expensive ones are custom forged and can cost years worth of salary."
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

A voice whispered in Benna's head as she ran, the mask hot against her skin. It was no human voice -- too many rustles and clicks and whistles. Never intrusive, it softened when she needed to concentrate. "What melody is this which you play, child? What instrument so fierce, so new-made? Torn free from time...torn free from time, in a way no other has been. Oh, child, your music is gentle. I almost missed it.'

I'm tracking you with your voice, Hagron-tides-of-green.

'Remarkable. My route today brings me to the top of the Faran's Hold stargate. If you can join me, in that place where the sheet music of the universe is written on a Mobius strip, well then -- I think we will both experience interesting things today.'

Benna scaled the side of a dilapidated factory. Through holes in corrugated metal, she saw thousands of humans and assorted aliens working on assembly lines -- the lucky ones, to have jobs at all in this part of the world. Ignoring Quorl's squawk of alarm, she ran light-footed across the roof beams and launched herself into space, arms out to her sides. She turned a neat flip and landed ten meters down, on the roof of an outbuilding. The metal dented under her weight. She ran on, towards the arcology that dominated the skyline.

The stargate was ancient, impossible to replicate. Its other end had been moved to the very world where Benna herself had been born: Faran's Hold, named for her brother by a grateful Jade Empire. Time ran approximately seventy-two times faster there, allowing for a colony -- and for the downtrodden billions of Trevel'ka to find a new life. Constant streams of people entered train cars, which entered the freestanding stargate on dozens of stacked, parallel tracks. The gate itself was huge, a sloped ring incorporated into the arcology structure. She reached the base and began to climb. She sensed Quorl circling overhead, ready to catch her with the Force should she fall.

She was determined not to fall.

A brown wind rose as she neared the top. An old Kotala -- humanoid in general form, but crustacean -- knelt at the apex, and a deep note permeated the wind. He was droning, without end, in some kind of a meditative trance.

Lacking other options, she knelt beside him and began to meditate, too. Quorl descended and joined them, on the ledge overlooking the stargate.
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter »

Alliera Nakamura was cleaning and prepping her Kiai'Ta, for the Honor Duel that the young prince had chosen her to be a champion for, and to match blades with a Jedi. To say Alliera was conflicted would be putting it lightly, she had a great amount of Loyalty for the Jade Empire Royal family, especially considering all the Jade Empire has done for her...but on the same token, the Jedi were the ones who originally took her in, and taught her the beginnings of the right way to do things. there was also a family connection to worry about, on one side she had her father; Akemi Nakamura, and on the other she had her Sister-in-Law; Benna Kol-Rekali. While the two weren't directly involved, they both represented plainly both sides of the issue for Alliera, an issue she was afraid she would have to deal with for a while...Was she a Jedi, or was she a Patriot?

Alliera looked at her Kiai'Ta, intially hoping for an aswer in it's silvery blade, and finding none. The Kiai'Ta was the symbol of Jade Worlds Nobility and the classes of Sai'Mrai, and niether lended credence to eather the Jedi or Patriots over the other. The Blooddrinker and Lightsaber were the clearer symbols of both organizations, and she used both as secondary weapons and gear, second to her Kiai'Ta. It was a representation of what she KNEW she was. Alliera Nakamura knew she was a Sai'Mrai, believed in the spirits her father taught her of, and she would protect her family and the innocent. At the thought of her family, Alliera's eyes turned towards a dark stained wood box in the corner fo the room she was given for the Pre-Duel Checks, intended to be a present for her new Little Sister. Alliera put a hand on the box, and silently prayed for an Ancestral Spirits to protect Benna in her travels with her "Sith Bait" Boyfriend.

A Buzzer went off, comming from Alliera's Datapad, set to signal the time Alliera is to head to the site of the duel. Alliera got up, and dried off her blade, before sliding it into it's hip-scabbard. Alliera was dressed simply: Brown Cargo Pants, Black Work Boots scuffed and caked with years worth of dirt and dried mudd, Black tank top, A pair of work gloves. Alliera made her way to the duel area, with as little fan fair as possible, hauling the finely stained wooden box with her to give to Mikail to give to Benna after the duel.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Keira glared at the assembly gathered for her duel with Alliera and the stares she got in return infuriated her more. She saw that same condescension she saw in Malphoris' eyes in the eyes of every Sai'mrai in attendance and when she looked at the Emperor his face was a pale mask devoid of emotion. For a moment Keira wondered if the Emperor took pleasure in making his cousin fight and if that were true he hid it well. Then the words of the little Nezumi came back to her, the Emperor wants you honored.

She resisted the urge to spit. Honor, she didn't care about that. Honor did her little good when she was fighting for her life on Metellos and again while she was ambushing Imperial patrols on Coruscant. On Ruusan there was little time for honor and all that was necessary was survival. To fight for honor was pointless, there was nothing to be gained from it. And to make matters worse she was being made to fight against her will and Keira absolutely hated being told what to do.

She unclipped the lightsaber from her belt as Alliera entered the room. The young padawan was older than she remembered but that mattered little. Alliera made her way through the crowd to the center of the room where Keira waited. Pausing at the edge of the circle she set a small box on the floor then walked with purpose to meet Keira at the center of the ring.

As the two warriors squared off Salphoris spoke. "Keira Sage, you are here to answer the challenge of the Crown Prince, Lei Kaijus-Terrablade. The duel will be to first blood and you may begin when you are ready. May you both bring honor to your families," he said with a bow though Keira could have sworn she caught just a hint of disdain.

Alliera drew her Kiai'ta and turned to face her. Keira gave one look at the weapon then shook her head. "You should know that I didn't want to have to do this," she said, "I think it's pointless. I will fight to avenge, I will fight to survive and I will even fight because it's right, but I will not fight for honor or pride and I certainly won't fight because someone told me to," she added with a sharp look at the Emperor. "I choose my own battles and I choose not to fight this one."

She tossed her lightsaber onto the floor in front of her, much to the surprise of all in attendance.

Salphoris looked at the discarded weapon and then back at her. "Are you backing down again, Sage?"

Keira shook her head. "Not backing down, nor am I submitting. You want your fight you go right ahead."

Alliera looked at her hesitantly then at the other Sai'mrai in attendance. Should she attack while Keira was unarmed? The woman said she wasn't backing down, nor did she intend to submit. Was she planning to fight barehanded then? Or not at all? There was little honor in defeating a warrior whom refused to defend herself. She lowered her sword, unsure of what to do then she caught the look from Keira. The other woman nodded her head and all at once Alliera raised her sword and struck.

The blade of Alliera's Kiai'ta cut across Keira's left cheek, leaving behind a line of crimson. Keira for her part did not flinch or even move, nor did she show any signs of pain as the blade sliced through her skin. When it was over the Jedi looked up at the Emperor and said, "I believe that means I lost. Now release my brother."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Salphoris looked to Chet and Alana. "Are we to expect this arrogance from all Jedi? This contempt for our traditions? In your face I see resentment for the contempt we feel towards you. Rest assured, you will have much to resent before this day is through. Had you bothered to ask anyone the consequences of your actions, instead of once again relying on the heteronormative Core-centric worldview that so thoroughly characterizes the Jedi, you would have known that what you have done is a variable thing. It is one thing to take a principled stand against ritualized and symbolic violence, committed in defence of sentient dignity and the dignity of our laws. It is one thing to refuse to fight for reasons of unworthiness. It is quite another thing to commit to follow those laws and then to flout them intentionally. Your Majesty, may I look to you for the judgment?"

Braily shook his head. "I know what you are about to say, Matthe'i. Say it. My cousin must learn a lesson, if she is to grow into a Jedi who seeks to understand others and who keeps her word when given. Rest assured, regardless of today's outcomes, a formal protest will be lodged with the Jedi Council. I hardly think the Council will look well on it. Relations between us are at a delicate stage."

Matthe'i Salphoris nodded. "The penalty is a period of imprisonment or indentured service. Your brother has proven his worth by begging the Emperor to accept him in your stead, and the Emperor's word has been given. I think if we kept him in the Emperor's meditation room permanently, you would attempt to break him out, though there is no chance you would survive such an attempt. More powerful beings than you have tried and failed. Rather than sacrifice your life to stupidity, we will confine him in a prison that you cannot breach: your brother's honor. The strength of his word. Mikhail Sage will be bound to serve the Jade Empire in all things. All hypothetical questions of divided loyalty will be resolved by his allegiance to his family here. That is the penalty, Keira Sage, since you continue to unrepentantly compound your offence."
DX Army Cadet

"You insult me, and my honor." Alliera said, wiping Kiera's blood off of her blade "I challange you, here and now, to a duel to be decided by Submission." Alliera had anouther reason to be fustrated, she had to leave the frontline for this, and patriots could be dying with Alliera not being there. There was also the issue of Nakamura and Kol-Rekali family honor, both impuned by Kiera's careless flouting of the tradition of the duel and by extension her disregard for Alliera and her skills. Alliera got down into a ready possition again, sure that the Sage wouldn't insult her twice, not even she herself was that bad when she came 7 years ago.

Post by Halcyon508 »

Spring and the green of the tender grass,
Flushes with joy as the swallows pass;
The wayfarers pause by the rippling stream,
And their eyes will new born gladness gleam;
With lingering gaze the roofs I see
Of the Palace that one time sheltered me.

Kohai Nura stood over Mikhail. "Your sister refused to fight." He said as Mikhail sat there meditating.

The boy didn't move, as he considered the implications. "So she lost?" he asked. The Jade Magistrate loomed over him. Mikhail knew he had the power of life and death but wasn't intimidated. "So you're here to pass judgement on me?"

"I would not dare presume." Nura said. "The Emperor has passed his judgement."

"And? Am I to be imprisoned?" Mikhail asked.

"In a manner of speaking perhaps." Nura replied sitting next to the boy. "You've agreed to accept any punishment."

Mikhail gulped hard. There was a chance, however remote, this man would try to take his head now. "I have." he finally managed to croak.

"Then your punishment is to serve." The Magistrate replied sitting down next to the boy. "I have enlisted you into the Jade Magistrate."

Doing his best to suppress a sigh of relief Mikhail smiled and then said, "It will be an honor to serve beside you."

"Under me." the man added quickly. There was no harshness to his tone. "You are still Kuge, but apprenticed under me for the duration."

"Very well Nura-sama." Mikhail said.

Nura smiled, "The old says are dying out, there is no need to speak with me so formally."

"Perhaps the old ways still have a place in the world." Mikhail rebuked. "And I should do well to show you, and all here the utmost respect."

The Magistrate smiled and stood up. Mikhail stood up behind him. "Keira has been challenged to a duel once more. We may go and watch if you wish."

"Again?" Mikhail groaned. "Why does she insist on embarrassing me in public?"

"It's what older sisters do."

Scritch watched the scene unfold and frowned. Alliera issued the challenge and he knew instantly that Keira would refuse. It was her nature to be stubborn and prideful. He frowned. Twice dishonored in front of the Empire could mean horrible things, and this time her brother wouldn't be able to save her. "I accept the challenge-duel." Scritch said scuttling forward into the open area. "You!" He said pointing to Alliera, "have dishonored the Emperor-Lord by issuing such a selfish challenge in his presence, and to one of the Emperor-family!" he yelled although his voice had something of a squeakish frailty to it. "I, the Emperors scribe in recompense for this slight shall take up the challenge for Keira-family and Mikhail-Kami on behalf of my lord, Emperor Terrablade!" He stood up on both feet to expand to his full nine inch height and pulled two swords from his belt. Before striking up a defensive stance he turned to Keira and bowed respectfully. "I am the Sage-champion on this day." He turned and struck up an offensive stance in the ring and prepared himself for battle.
Domani, forget domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"You son of a bitch," Keira spat at Salphoris. He was using her love of family against her and he knew it. Suddenly her lightsaber flew to her hand and ignited but she didn't raise it against Salphoris, she turned the blade against herself. "It is said the Emperor cares for family in the way that Sage's do," she said, "So prove it! Release my brother or I will end my life right here!"

"You expect us to--," Salphoris began but Keira cut him off.

"I expect you to nothing," Keira shouted, "I caused the problem, I'm the one who refused to fight and yet you imprison another! If you wish to bind someone so badly then bind me! Or bury me right here, your choice," she said, turning back to the Emperor, "and believe me when I say that I would rather die than see my brother punished for my mistakes."

She edged the blade closer to her body, close enough that her clothing and even her skin were beginning to singe.
DX Army Cadet

Alliera looked at Scritch grimly, this duel just got a whole lot more deadly, and a whole lot more tragic eather way it ended. "I'm sorry, I urge you to think about your children if you do lose" Alliera said, the underlying tragedy of what was happening evident in her voice. "May the spirits watch over you." Alliera then crouched as low as she could comfortably, with her blade in a ready possition. "First move is your Scritch-Sama." Alliera said, frowning "I accept your Counter-Challenge, the one who submits first looses." The problem was that Scritch would rather die than submit, and would likely commit Sempukku if he submitted, Alliera's urge to consider his children was a plea to not consider Killing himself. Then Keira started speaking, and even turned her lightsaber on herself, forcing Alliera to interviene. Alliera quickly walked over and put her blade between Kiera and the Lightsaber threatening her. "Do you really wish to spit over your Brother's honorable acts?" Alliera said, frowning "Killing yourself here will only serve to damage him, your family, and the Emperor needlessly."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Salphoris opened his mouth to answer.

He was interrupted by the Jade Emperor.

"Stop." Braily Terrablade stood. At this, all attention in the room was fixed on him. "Every sai'mrai in this room will now sheathe the kiai'ta."

Alliera and Scritch sheathed their swords reluctantly. Keira, naturally, did not.

"Alliera Nakamura. This duel was about the honor of the Imperial Family in all its branches. By claiming a duel based on your own honor, while the larger issue remained to be settled, you have presumed too much.

"Scritch Scrat of the Nezumi tribes. Your instincts are true, but your blade is impulsive, and your focus is too narrow. I am here -- I can make my own challenges and defend my own honor. I thank you for your service, but now is not the time. We must deal with the larger issue first.

"Keira Sage. Your defiance overshadows the honor of your act, the willingness to answer for your own actions. You have my permission to commit seppuku at once. This will cleanse your honor and the honor of the Jedi. Or you can back down and be named ronin. You will not have the privileges of a member of my family, or of a kuge. I hope you understand by now that this means further insolence will be punished by imprisonment or forced labor. You would not be granted the option of an honorable death. Your disgrace would be communicated to the Jedi Council in every conceivable way, and I would personally inform the Council that you are not psychologically or spiritually ready to be a Jedi Knight. I will inform the Council that blood was shed and a good man imprisoned because you were unwilling to make an apology or attempt the slightest respect for our laws. Keep your word and commit seppuku to restore your honor, or be stripped of all protection for future insolence. There is no third path."

Post by Halcyon508 »

Scritch turned to the Emperor and bowed lowly, "the fault was mine Emperor. I failed to instruct her properly in the ways of our people. I humbly submit that it is my fault, and not Keira's." He bowed lower and once more unsheathed his sword in order to prepare for his own execution.

"I raised the cup in pledge,
None might say nay;
Remorseful, draw the sword,
Myself to slay."

He spoke as he prepared for his fate.

Mikhail watching the scene stepped forward yelled, "Idiot!" He looked down at Keira. "I wanted this, I wanted to serve! I wanted to protect you! Why can't you see that!" A few tears were on his face as he looked down at his sister. "I choice this, and there is no turning back!" He was wearing the haori of the Jade Magistrates now. "Just top all of this for me okay!?"
Domani, forget domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"I'm sorry, Mikhail, but I'm choosing this," Keira said and Salphoris scoffed at her.

"You don't think I will do it," Keira asked, giving him a sharp glance, "Watch me."

Then she stabbed the blade through her abdomen, cringing as the heat from the saber burned through her skin. She fell to one knee then, one of her hands bracing herself on the floor while the other held her lightsaber. "I... told you... I would rather...," she fell over onto her side as she tried to speak and as the light dimmed from her eyes she whispered, "die..."

Post by Halcyon508 »

Mikhail stared in shock, tears flowing from his eyes. "KEIRA!" he yelled. Without thought he jumped over a railing and with blinding speed approached his sister. He grabbed her in his arms as the force swirled about him. His tears poured onto her face. "Stupid... stupid, stupid stupid!" he yelled as he gripped her. The air around him twirled and sand, rocks and other debris began to fly about as a veritable tornado engulfed him. Light shinning from his body grew brighter and brighter as his eyes filled with pure power given to him by the valley.

"Kami..." Scritch said staring at the boy huddled over his sister. "The power of the Kami!" He squeaked loudly.

Gripping the woman, his elder sister he screamed loudly. Parts of the structure around him were beginning to crack and fracture. The sound of gusting winds and force drowned out all other sound except for the desperate pleas of a boy. "Don't die, please don't die!"

Lightning struck throughout the building and light consumed all blinding them everyone vision. And Mikhail felt something, the power surging in him, abilities from long dead men forming into thought and form. He put his hands over the spot where Keira had been wounded and watched like a specter as the wound knit itself back together, slowly and then with extreme pace. Her heart started to pump and the young woman awake with a coughing start. Seeing his sister safe the light began to dim and Mikhail, now glowing with radiance looked around the room and screamed in exacerbated pain.
Domani, forget domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Keira was shocked, only a moment ago the light had been lost from her eyes forever and now... She looked down at her stomach, the wound was gone, but how? Mikhail was glowing radiantly beside her, his head raised high as he screamed in agony. Keira quickly pulled herself up beside him and smacked him solidly across the cheek. The force of the blow surprised him and he fell silent as he stared at her, the light dimming from around his body.

"Why, Mikhail," she demanded and he stared at her in surprise. There were tears in her eyes and her voice cracked as she spoke. "In all of this mess why didn't you consider how I felt," she asked him.

"Keira, I wanted to protect you," he whispered.

"By locking yourself up?!" she screamed at him, "Taking on my punishment and leaving me with the knowledge that I was the one who put you there? How does that protect me?!"

She was openly weeping now, the first time in her life that she had ever shown any kind of emotion. "Mikhail, I love you. You are my brother and I would rather see you free then in prison because of something I did. I don't want to be left with that responsibility, that's why I...," her words trailed off.

Mikhail sat there a moment then nodded, "Keira, I... I think I understand."

Keira smiled at him then rubbed his cheek gently with one hand before she stood and turned to face the Emperor. She took a moment to wipe her eyes clean then leveled him with a stare. "Emperor Braily Terrablade," she began in a clear voice, "in front of all those in attendance here I humbly apologize for my behavior."

Then she bowed to him, deeply at the waist and waited for his response.

Post by Halcyon508 »

Mikhail cried, tears flowing greater than any time in his life. He punched weakly at Keira's chest and barried his face into her. "Stupid!" he said hitting her again. "Stupid stupid stupid sister!" he yelled with a mix of anger and joy. "You're so selfish..." he whispered. "Did you ever think about me? How I would feel? Don't ever do that again. If you even think about it I won't forgive you." He nearly jumped on her as h e embraced her in a wide hug.
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The disturbance in the Force sent a shiver through the Shang Ra'la as Benna Kol-Rekali, Quorl, and the old Kotala Jukre ran towards the audience chamber. Hagron was making excellent time, for being over a hundred years old. "I sense what you spoke of, beloved," he wheezed. "I hope we are not too late."

"I'm never too late," she said as she ran. "I am always exactly on time."

They burst into the room where the duels were taking place. Mikhail was screaming, and glowing, and the walls shook. Alliera was with him, trying to get him to calm down.

"Help him, Hagron!"

The old Kotala took two steps forward to stand beside Alliera and placed a hand on Mikhail's skull, gray rags swaying around his battered carapace. A low, droning hum echoed from the crustacean's throat, and peace descended on the room. Benna felt Mikhail's pain wiped away. The power of the Valley of the Jedi was nearly infinite, relic of the deaths of thousands of Force-users, and Hagron had only a fraction of it...but the currents of the Force smoothed out, and the walls ceased to shake.

"Return to yourself, beloved," said the Kotala to Mikhail, as his dingy-shelled hand fell away, and Keira drew breath.

Up on the podium, Matthe'i Salphoris leaned towards the stunned Emperor. "Your Majesty," he murmured, "I appear to have suffered the same affliction as your wife."

And the Emperor indicated Keira, as she stood and began to speak.

Both men sat there as she spoke, listening.

"Your apology, while overdue, is accepted, Keira Sage. How could it not be? Mikhail, you are released from your confinement. Alliera, you are dismissed. Your personal honor must come second to your duty, and I command you to return to the front lines. Scritch Scrat, your sacrifice will not be required at this time. I see we are visited by Hagron-tides-of-green. Your guidance is most welcome."

The Kotala joined Braily and Salphoris on the dais, consulting in hushed tones. Alliera departed. The room lapsed into peace as Benna embraced Mikhail and Keira, overwhelmed by what had happened.
Last edited by Beorht on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX Army Cadet

"My Apologies, Emperor." Alliera said, bowing respectfully and apologetically "I acted Selfishly, I will controll my actions better next time." Alliera then left the room, handing benna the Box on her way out.
Last edited by Mandalore_The_Uniter on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"Your apology is accepted. Depart in peace," said the Emperor on his way out. Both left.

Post by Halcyon508 »

As Mikhail embraced both Benna and his sister with eyes swelled with tears he noticed something. He wiped the tears away to see dozens of little Nezumi standing about the room. No, standing was perhaps the wrong word they were bowing. Several members of court were with them and all were chanting something he couldn't exactly understand. Then a Nezumi, older perhaps though Mikhail had a hard time seeing, came forth and asked, "I am Scritch Scaat." he said, "And they would like to know..." He paused over his words. "Is there anything we can do for you blessed one? Mikhail of the Sage's, bringing of death and life?"

Through his tears Mikhail saw the tiny creature and felt something disturbing in the pit of his stomach. Although for a second his tears had ceased they suddenly burst back to life in full glory.
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

Hagron broke away from consultation with Salphoris and the Emperor, and approached Mikhail.

"Greetings, beloved," he said. "I have a message for you, from one who may be able to help you control your gifts. Seek out the Frost Witch on the world known as Iceball, on the fringes of the Jade Empire. Only she can match your strength, and she is old and frail. Old enough to understand how to help you."

He nodded to himself in a satisfied way and returned to consultation with the men on the dais.

Post by Halcyon508 »

"Wait!" Mikhail said turning. He had a duty he had to perform, the task his cousin originally set for him. "I want to talk with you!" he called after the man who turned. "I want you to teach the Patriots." He said firmly. "I want you to help the Empire!"
Domani, forget domani
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

The old crustacean turned away from the Emperor, and Braily and Salphoris vanished into a side room. "Train the Patriots? And how would they use the Jukre ways, beloved? I am a pacifist, and I have enough blood on my hands already. The Patriots serve a worthy goal, but they must do so through violence, even more than the Jedi. This path is not for me, and I have seen the Jukre way twisted, even defiled. I have my role, and you have yours."

Post by Halcyon508 »

"Some are violent perhaps, but not all of them surely. There has to be some who think like you do." Mikhail pleaded. "You could work with them, make them into something more than warriors." Staring the old crustacean in the eyes he added, "Even if its only a few, even if only a few of them believe in your pacifistic ways and learn from you it would make a difference. If more people put down the swords and picked up plows wouldn't this be a better place? Isn't that your goal?" Mikhail wasn't sure exactly what he was feeling. Getting this old man here, asking him to join the Empire in helping people... that was his goal! That was what started this entire mess. "Please, I beg of you, help make a difference."
Domani, forget domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"What exactly is the Jukre way," Keira asked suddenly, "Why was it so important that we find you?"

There was a moment where Benna feared Keira would once again cause trouble, but when the elder Jedi spoke there was a softness to her tone she never showed before. There was even a bit of earnestness to it, she truly wanted to know. For someone embroiled in war all her life an end to the turmoil must seem like something to be coveted.
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"I spend every waking moment altering the emotions of the people on Trevel'ka. I have done so for three years now, beloved. I have inspired hope, dampened despair, curtailed rage. Trevel'ka has few riots. This is, in no small part, due to my efforts. A Patriot in this day and age must carry a weapon, and I have seen some corrupted and fallen. The Patriots, and the militant Jade Empire as a whole, have a function, a function I understand. They seek to defend their people. But out of the two of us, the Jukre or the Patriots, who does more good, hm? You wish me to make the Patriots like me and leave this fragile Empire undefended against the many, many horrors of the dark? Balance, Mikhail Sage. Balance. And I would not wish to see my abilities bent once again, or adulterated."

Post by Halcyon508 »

"But you could help them!" Mikhail said. "You could train others, you could support them couldn't you?" What was the point in finding this man if he wasn't going to help? Why did all of this matter so damned much if nothing would change. "Cooperation would have its rewards. The works you do would be protected, and you could expand, work on other worlds with people in the same lowly state."
Domani, forget domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"Could you use your powers on me," Keira blurted out and the others just stared at her. The young Jedi flushed slightly and looked away. "I have lived my whole life filled with hatred and anger for all things," she said quietly, "I thought if I could join the Jedi and be reunited with my brothers I could turn myself around, see the good in life. But it was been on long battle after another and I am filled with more contempt."

She turned to look at Hagron a certain note of desperation in her eyes. "Some of the Jedi have claimed that I am much closer to being a Sith than a Jedi Knight and they might be right. I can't change the way I am."
False Dichotomy

Post by Beorht »

"If I did that, beloved, I would be consenting to this regime. And we both know it would never stop at that. Let me tell you something of the Jukre...and something of the Patriots."

They were alone now, in the battered room.

"The Jukre Star Sailors do not see the universe as the Jedi or the Patriots do, beloved. We are wanderers, seeking to find and understand the currents -- the melodies and harmonies -- of all things. Our understanding of what you call the Force is deeper, and we would not speak of 'using' it or of 'techniques' when talking among ourselves. We guard the harmonies. We tune the galaxy's instruments for greater harmony. While we walk, we find the proper place and time to tune these resonances. My finest pupil achieved this at the Battle of Mon Calamari, and though she tilted the course of fate, she brought great tragedy in the process, because she did what the Patriots -- her students -- always do. She took portions of different paths and ways, and wove them together into a coherent whole. And so she blended my teachings with the beliefs of others. The Patriots, and the Emperor and Empress behind them, follow a similar code. For many years now they have sent representatives to other Force sects, to learn their ways and trade techniques. The Patriot way is a blend of too many traditions to count. This is a survival instinct. You know as well as I that any Patriots I taught would be Patriots first, sworn to defend. That is not the role of the Jukre. Ours is the war on the home front, the battle against revenge, against terror, against despair. Our influence can be used for terrible things. If a powerful Patriot learned what I know, what would stop him from dampening an enemy fleet's willpower, their fighting spirit, even the will to live? Such an act would send discord and dissonance all throughout the region, damaging my efforts and the efforts of my brothers and sisters. A few younger Jukre, who follow a path called Descant which permits some limited aggression, have joined the Patriots. They do not know the true depth of our path, and they never can. If the Emperor wants the Jukre way to be part of the Patriot way, let him learn from them."

He turned to Keira. "One came to me with such a need. Her blood had been tainted with Sith poison, the kind that engenders uncontrollable rage. I tuned her, as a musician would an instrument. It took some time, and considerable effort on her part."