URF: The Consciousness of Yesterday

18 years after the Battle of Yavin...
A divergent, persistent and interactive Star Wars timeline with a rich history and established characters.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

PrinceKirin
Lord of the Knights who say Nee

Post by PrinceKirin »

-----The Olorun System, Forest of the Ancients, ROTJ-????-----

In the many centuries before the birth of Luke Skywalker, there once existed a city hidden deep within the great forest of Olorun. The city was small and centered around a large temple. Though most of was underground, there was still a considerable portion towering over the smaller buildings. Temple priests exhibited their prowess with the force as they preached from the four corners of the temple.

Peace marked eons of time with the sentient humanoid race until one day it all changed. A small craft crash-landed in the city and its three occupants were rescued. The three, triplet sisters, immediately used the force to manipulate the people around them and ascend to rule the city and surrounding lands. Through fear, lightsabers, and the force they ruled with an iron fist and quickly began conquering nearby villages and eventually city-states.

Though their victories brought them power, they longed for the technology they had been stripped of. Eventually they decided to pursue three great powers, the secret to eternal life, Sith alchemy, and corporeal translocation. The eldest, Kelel, studied eternal life and gained the power to extend it. Her next youngest sister, Nola studied Sith alchemy and secretly raised a dark army of monsters. The youngest and wisest of the sisters, Tiyaki, worked hard to figure out the secret of teleporting.

Over two hundred years passed and still no escape came; however, the people of Olorun had finally begun to rise up against their tyrant leaders. An army of near a million strong marched on the city. Nola defended with her monster army. By shear luck, Tiyaki had a break through. She gathered her sisters from the battlefront and told them that if they could gather the essence of all the nearby humanoid life, she could use it to teleport them back to a technologically advanced world. Nola prepared a ritual in which they could use alchemy to trap the nearby essence in a single spherical crystal with properties similar to a lightsaber crystal. All three gathered together and began their dark project. It was moments before the crystal filled with the force. People, animals, and monsters alike all started dropping dead within a fifty-mile radius of the temple until not one was left.

As the evil ones concluded their ritual they encountered the great snag of their plan. Suddenly they too were absorbed into the crystal of their creation. In the wake of their influence they left civil war, millions dead, and the center of the great forest devoid of animal life. Over time the animal life returned, but no Olorunian would even enter the forest. Thousands of years passed by...............................

---Olorun, Forest of the Ancients, present day-----

The Forest of the Ancients has become the grandest archeological attraction of the Federation and the center of it, the site of Ashbru City, crawls with teams from all over the galaxy who seek her treasures. The temple is, without a doubt, the most popular part. Digs has already uncovered the upper portions and teams are pouring into opening to explore the vast network of halls and rooms.

"Dr Ganas!!!!" A young voice yelled into the darkness. The sound echoed far and passed the dozens of lanterns that teams had placed along the walls.

"I’m right here Halia." Ganas said softly.

Halia, a Valaran female, approached the quiet scientist holding a scroll. "Dr.," she whispered, “I found a scroll in a hidden chest."

He had kept his back to her while he tried to translate wall inscriptions, but now, she had his undivided attention. "Please continue."

Whispering, she continued, "It is a map of the temple showing a secret passage from the rooms we are allotted to research. The passage leads to a room that I translate to be called the 'Sanctum of the Three.'"

His eyes widened with the prospect of discovering this site's greatest secret. Quickly he pulled his communicator from his pocket and spoke as clearly as possible, "University of Akina team members, please report to," he paused as he pulled away the scroll to see the room where the passage left from, "room b-137 for a staff meeting in one hour."
"Yeah, and I stole an ISD. Doesn't mean you should. I am the lunitic around here." LT. CMDR. KIRIN A. TSUKINO
----------------------------------------
"What? Where in God's vast galaxy are you going to find a man crazy enough to even attempt to jump a moon into hyperspa.....where do I sign?"

FORGE ATOSURYUA, Promethian Engineering Guild, department of hyperspacial physics and temporal studies

PrinceKirin

Re: URF: The Consciousness of Yesterday

Post by PrinceKirin »

----One Hour Later----

"Doctor, I've reported the finding to the Ministry of Anomalous Defense and they are anxious to know what we discover down there." Halia reported happily as she returned to the room.

"Excellent Halia!!!!!" Ganas praised. "And what fine timing too."

Ganas looked around the room to examine his fine team of grad students. There were seven in all including four men, three women counting Halia. All of them were archeologists except for one oddball. Nathan Awls, a master of geology who joined the mission to study the long-term interaction between ancient superstructures and local geology. Not one of his team members were clean or refreshed since they had worked all day, but Ganas knew excitement would soon fill them all.

"Thanks for showing up on such short notice. We have worked hard these last six weeks trying to unearth the secrets of this temple and I'm proud of each of you for the job you have done," Ganas opened in a cool tone.

A couple of the grad students took a deep breath, preparing themselves for the bad news of having to go home.

"Earlier this evening our very own Halia discovered one of those secrets."

Everyone glanced to her then back to the professor. Suddenly, the energy began to refill them. Perhaps, finally, all of their work would have fruit.

"She discovered a scroll revealing a secret passage to a room called 'the Sanctum of the Three.' The entrance is in this room and we are going there in secret.... tonight. So pick up your gear and lets get moving." As briskly as he started, he finished.

Halia stood up and pushed three specific bricks into the wall in the back of the room. The sound of stone moving quickly filled the room as stones began to drop in one corner. When the dust finally settled they could see a door at the bottom of the corner. One by one they filed through, heading into whatever treasure awaits them in the forgotten darkness.

Meanwhile, on the surface............

A small crowd was forming around a figure walking towards the temple. He stuck out like a sore thumb, not because of appearance but because of fame.

"Okay, okay. I shake hands one at a time and only ask," he began but was interrupted.

"Your highness, please let us get you somethi.."

"NO!!! Don't call me that. I retired from politics and I just want to be an average Joe again." Kirin roared.

"Alright.... Mr. Tsukino..." the man corrected.

"Okay, that’s better. Now, I’ll be glad to meet all of you and tell stories of family and adventure..."he paused "But after supper. Come on, I brought a cook and lots of steak for everyone! Follow me!!" Kirin announced as he lead the crowd to his ship.

Back in the depths of the temple.......

The passage no longer appeared to be stone hallway and stairs but began to be more cave like by the moment. Each step became muddier and the ceiling filled with more and more calcite formation. Even the short Halia had to duck under 'cave bacon' and stalactites. What may have started out as a twenty-minute walk down winding corridors had turned into a three-hour spelunking expedition.

"This passage has been nearly completely reclaimed by the local strata. This is incredible!!" Nathan exclaimed. "These formations are growing at a substantially increased rate. The internal stone work in this temple must be limestone....."

"Nathan," Ganas interrupted, "Though we all find this very interesting, I'm sure we'd all enjoy concentrating on not getting hurt squeezing through all of this."

It was another hour and a half before they reached the end of the sloped corridor where a large ornate door awaited them.

"What is our location?" Ganas asked aloud.

"170.7 meters below the eastern wing of the temple. The corridor went in circles until we reached this depth." One grad student reported.

"Alright..."Ganas said, examining the door".... it looks as if the door is not trapped but just in case, everyone stand back." After a silent count to ten he pushed the ancient door but it wouldn't budge. "ARRGG, the Calcite has jammed the door!" He roared.

"Doc! Three of us can knock it down." Nathan stated.

"Good idea.... all together now." Ganas instructed as Nathan and another grad student took up position next to him. "1,2,3, NOW!" They charged the door and rammed it with their shoulders. The sudden impact what just enough to break it loose.

The hinges creaked loudly as it swung inwardly. The lights the team carried shined passed the entrance and into a vast dark room where it could not illuminate the far wall.

Ganas stepped and found the cave was mostly gone. This room was an architectural wonder. Marble, granite, and solid platinum blocks made up the floor, walls, and immense columns, which rose nearly 20 meters to a cathedral style ceiling. The room was decorated with ornate furnishings and metallic knickknacks.

"This place is incredible....... it may be the most significant find this sector has ever seen...." Halia remarked. "Doctor Ganas, the inner sanctum door is up ahead.

"Indeed.... Nathan, pick a couple of guys and start cataloging this room. The rest of us are going through that door." He commanded.

The team broke into two groups. Five went to the door, while Nathan delegated tasks to the two who remained with him. It seemed as if the big moment was on them.

Ganas checked the door for traps while Halia tried to read the door.

"I can't read this.... it is all scrambled..." She pointed out.

Ganas glanced at it. "It is gibberish.... why?"

"Girshish mekek telmor tek.."

"Did you hear that?!"

"Here what doctor?"

Ganas, looked at his team in shock, "You mean you didn't hear that!?!?!?!?!"
"Yeah, and I stole an ISD. Doesn't mean you should. I am the lunitic around here." LT. CMDR. KIRIN A. TSUKINO
"What? Where in God's vast galaxy are you going to find a man crazy enough to even attempt to jump a moon into hyperspa.....where do I sign?"

FORGE ATOSURYUA, Promethian Engineering Guild, department of hyperspacial physics and temporal studies

PrinceKirin

Post by PrinceKirin »

"Ha ha Doc, very funny." One laughed seeing it as a prank.

The others joined in the chorus, not one realizing that the professor was serious. He fake chuckled and went back to the door, hoping it was his imagination. He examined the door but could no longer concentrate.

"Doctor! There is no mechanism!" Halia exclaimed from behind him. Her voice echoed in the room and only served to further disrupt the professor. Matters became worse as the other grad students began examining the door and discussing way to open it.

"I need SILENCE!" The professor yelled in frustration.

He got his request instantly. Never before had they heard him yell and yet he did.

"ARRRRGGG!!!!!! I WANT IT TO STOP!"

"What do you hear, Ganas?" Halia asked with deep concern.

"A voice keeps whispering 'Girshish mekek telmor tek!'" He imitated.

"What doe......" Halia was speaking, but Ganas could no longer hear anything. He started to look around and noticed a symbol on the door glowing brightly. He ran his fingers a crossed it feeling to see if it was warm. Not satisfied with the cold he pressed, testing to see if he just wasn't making contact with it.

Halia continued to try and get him to answer, but he still could not hear a sound. He was in his own world, like he was in an unreal place in a dream. The question is did he even have his own will. The symbol he had been pressing sank into the wall, releasing the mechanisms.

By this time Halia was shouting at him and even the two students with Nathan had come to see what was up.

"He isn't himself...its like he is drugged..." she commented in a confused tone.

The door started to open.

PrinceKirin

Post by PrinceKirin »

The doors hinges made an ear-piercing creak as the door came to a stop. The inner darkness was seemed to expand out into sanctuary the team already stood in. It wasn't just a literal darkness but a dark presence seemed to reach out and touch their very souls.

"Wow, creepy!" Halia blurted.

"Does anyone else have a bad feeling about this?" One other student asked.

Ganas still heard nothing, at least not from his students.

"Closer....." the whisper said again to Ganas.

Stepping forward, he disappeared into the darkness in front of him. Though it was dark, his steps were sure as if the room was bright. His steps echoed out to the students.

"Halia, have you ever seen him do that?"

"I've known Professor Ganas since I was 10 years old and yet I have never seen anything remotely like this.....its like he is in a trance." She speculated.

Try as they may, no amount of speculation prepared them for what came next. As if by some bizarre magic, all the ancient torches suddenly lit inside the room Ganas had entered. It was the sanctum for which they were looking. The walls were made of fine hand crafted bricks of precious metal all the way up into the vaulted ceiling. Fine stone workings in jade and marble lined the walls. In the center of the massive treasure-trove sat a platinum alter with a silk pillow laced with gold and silver on the top. In the center of it glowed a dark spherical gem.

There was nothing to be said through the spectacular awe the room inspired. So powerful no one even moved, except for Ganas. His pace was unbroken as he quickly stepped over a dried corpse next to the alter. He stopped in front of the gem and lost his attention in it.

Halia noticed the bodies, three of them and evenly spaced from the alter and each other. She then began to draw a connection. He thoughts ran quickly as things began to unravel in her mind. "Outside of the temple they found a warning of evil, we found the deepest secret in the temple and in it an alter that seems to emit darkness and a gem in its center that glows.....torches that catch fire on their own, three corpses around the alter, Sanctum of the Three......"

"Professor, I have a very bad feeling about this! Doctor don't mess with it!" She exclaimed as she rushed to him, already too late.

"Grab it Ganas.....grab it...." the whisper commanded.

Without so much as a blink his hand grasped the sphere. An energy suddenly released from the crystal and up his arm. To those looking on it appeared to be like lightening, only it was black. Through his arm and into the rest of his body it spread until suddenly it vanished.

Halia was up to a sprint and nearly upon him. His hand reached out and small cylinder flew to him from the robe of one of the dead in the room. Once in his hand the all too familiar glow of red shot forth from it and then the thrust it at his own student. She was too close to dodge and too close to realize what was happening before it was too late.

Glancing down she could see the beam still searing the wound in her chest. She couldn't speak, just scratch out a single word "Why?" The blade turned off and her knees buckled. The thud of her hitting the ground echoed in the now silenced room.

The other grad students looked on in horror as his glare met their eyes. There are times when a Valaran's eyes can glow a soft blue, but his were red and this addeed to the building terror.

Meanwhile, up top in the temple.......

Kirin's tour of the facility was well under way. Already he'd seen half of the grounds and greeted most of the scientists. He encouraged them and thanked each for their hard work. Noble for a former leader, but these public appearances had become tiresome. As he and his party made their way down a corridor, his stomach turned with instantaneous nausea and no explanation. Stopping, he supported his weight along the wall and drew much attention.

"M'lord, are you all right?" the scientist closest to him asked.

"Yeah....um....someone go get a doctor..." he stammered.

PrinceKirin

Post by PrinceKirin »

Minutes passed and still no doctor. Kirin grew increasingly impatient as the crippling nausea continued. He fought it with the force but to no avail. Even shifting his weight entirely against the wall was completely fruitless.

"I'm going to be sick!" He groaned loudly.

Then his ears picked up that one familiar sound that he'd spent years with. It was distant enough to be mistaken for the mind playing tricks, but his instincts told him otherwise. His gaze went from the floor to down the hall as yells began to reach him. The hall in front of him lit bright blue and filled with bolts of plasma.

Instinctually, he let go of the wall and went for his lightsaber in an effort to try and engage what ever was coming. A figure holding a lightsaber stepped into the hallway from an offshoot room. He turned and grinned at Kirin and the scientists at his side before filling the corridor with a power force storm.

Kirin took the hit and staggered against the wall as his force powers dropped. There was little he could do through the barrage other than try and stay on his feet. The attack stopped, allowing Kirin time to attempt to take the offensive. He sprinted forward toward his assailant, active lightsaber in hand.

Ganas grinned evilly and the lightsaber in his hand flew towards Kirin with a spinning motion. Kirin tried to dodge but there wasn't enough room in the corridor to get away. The saber's blade slashed him mid chest, dropping him in a single attack. Kirin was in great pain and found the he couldn't even draw breath. He could only lie there and watch the attack step over him and disappear as darkness filled his view.

Each attempted breath seemed farther and farther apart. He could sort of hear but it became dull and eventually he knew only silent darkness and finally nothing at all.

Hours later.... aboard the URS Kagome, an Abriel Star Cruiser in orbit....

"M'lady please wait!!!" A lone captain yelled after a running royal running royal.

Queen Katsumi had rushed to Olorun after receiving news of her father. Her heart was heavy with fear since no one knew if he lived or had died hours ago. At least knowing would help her to feel better and so she ran through the ship towards the medical bay.

She burst into the receiving room, panting heavily.

"What of my father?" She demanded.

A doctor came out from a closed room. "Katsumi, please take a seat," he said coolly.

"D-d-does that mean he's d-dead?" he eyes filled with water and tears began to hit the deck at her feet. Not waiting she rushed passed the doctor and into the room where her father was kept. She looked at him, crying, and eventually through her arms around. Her sobs were muffled in his side.

"AI-CHI, DAUGHTER LET GO!" a familiar voice groaned.

Her tear filled eyes shot up at her fathers face.

"Katsumi, that is where my wound is and that hurts a lot." He tried to say smoothly.

She threw her arm around his shoulders and hugged him tightly. "I thought you were dead, I thought you'd left me."

"Not the stubborn Kirin Tsukino." The doctor said now coming into the room. "He is so stubborn you could throw him in a supernova and he'd still survive."

Katsumi stood up, still crying. "Why didn't you tell me he was alive?"

"Had you waited a second I was going to tell you that and that his wound is a chest wound and you can’t do what you just did." He said sternly as he began to check Kirin’s bandages.

Kirin rolled his eyes at the old doctor "You know Doc, you shouldn't exaggerate and you can be a bit nicer."

The doctor smiled, patted Kirin's cheek and said merrily; "You want nice, go to a civilian hospital on Chandrilla, for now your stuck with an old navy surgeon."

"Doctor, I would like a moment with my father." Katsumi forced out.

The doctor nodded, finished checking bandages, and stepped out.

Kirin whispered, "Katsumi, I know that I can not give you directions on how to be the democratic head of our Federation, but you must hunt down the dark entity that attacked the dig. Daughter, I feel that it means to destroy all life."

Katsumi's expression began to turn serious. She has witnessed her father fight power evils and dark jedi with powers far surpassing his own, but never has she seen him downed or so serious about an enemy.

"Daddy, what happened?" She asked.

Kirin started to speak but winced from the pain. "It’s in my report, but he defeated me as if I were a bug. Go and talk to the witnesses.... I have to rest....” Kirin forced out.