My Computer died!

For discussion not directly related to Role Playing.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

TalRaimi
'Will finish a thread one day…'

My Computer died!

Post by TalRaimi »

One day it was working fine, then the next… the fan spins up and then nothing. No hard drive noises, no output to the monitor, nada! So sorry to those I was in threads with, Smoke, Vox, Jag, et al.

The good news is I now have a brand spanking new PC and a shiny new 22inch widescreen monitor! The bad news I’m addicted to WOW again, the old PC struggled to run the expansions, but it flies along now! Anyway, the point is I’ll try and get posting again soon… WOW not withstanding.
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Re: My Computer died!

Post by Mir »

Should...Should we exorcise your computer to get rid of the WoW demon?
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

CEO Raith Sienar

Post by CEO Raith Sienar »

WoW is of the Devil. *Does it in the voice of Bobby Boshie's mother from Waterboy* :P
“I’m sitting on my ass before a legend. I guess the reports of your death have been greatly mistaken.”

Jerec Ordin speaking to Nich Dreadstar

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

But i like the demon... :(

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Uh huh, sure, of course. I believe you. Really, I do. ;)
#Valkob4Life

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

You should exercise your keyboard and write me a post, Mir. :P
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

PrinceKirin
Lord of the Knights who say Nee

Post by PrinceKirin »

*breaks out the holy water* All we need now is a young priest and an old priest
"Yeah, and I stole an ISD. Doesn't mean you should. I am the lunitic around here." LT. CMDR. KIRIN A. TSUKINO
----------------------------------------
"What? Where in God's vast galaxy are you going to find a man crazy enough to even attempt to jump a moon into hyperspa.....where do I sign?"

FORGE ATOSURYUA, Promethian Engineering Guild, department of hyperspacial physics and temporal studies

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Pryde2000 wrote:You should exercise your keyboard and write me a post, Mir. :P
If I had no Accounting test tomorrow, my good sir, I'd at least think about it. :P
#Valkob4Life

Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Glad to see you back, Tal. You can deal with the very irate Trandoshan currently terrorizing the Jedi Temple. :oldrazz:
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

Hmm… scaly lizard terrorizing a Temple? Sounds like Dragonkin to me. Anyone for a raid?

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Pah, I played WoW for a while, it was just a glorified chat room and irritating grind, it was less fun than having a laparotomy without anaesthetic while simultaneously undergoing a bilateral occular enucleation and listening to non-stop looped tape of the Aga Doo - push pineapple shake a tree single... And that's not much fun...

Seriously Tal - Heroin addicts say they like heroin that doesn't mean they shouldn't give it up and do something more worthwhile with their lives. Technically with WoW it makes more sense to just buy a used level 85 character than spend hours grinding away and paying for the priviledge... At least SWG original had some depth and variety...

Now go to control panel, applications - remove, remove anything related to Wow and get on with your life!

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

PrinceKirin wrote:*breaks out the holy water* All we need now is a young priest and an old priest
Why is his head rotating three sixty?

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

No prob, Tal :) Years on SWE has taught me patience :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Wait, SWG had more depth than WoW? Seriously? Dude, it had an even worse grind than WoW. At least with WoW you got to read a story while you were grinding levels (assuming you read the quest logs like I did). SWG was just an endless grind without anything to break up the monotony from time to time. Also, buying a level 80 character is illegal and against Blizzard's policy and if your caught they'll shut down your account and you'll have spent upwards of 200 dollars for nothing (I think that's what they're going for now). And, dude, seriously if the guy wants to play WoW let him. It can be fun to go online with your friends every now and again just don't turn into my roommate.

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

Actually I did try to play SWG once. Hated it with a passion, maybe it was because I was new to MMO's, or maybe it was just really horrible, but it was like asking someone with a C grade in Chemistry to perform rocket science. There is a horrible simplicity about wow that's really very enticing.

Plus it has Dragons. Lots of big F*ck off Dragons!

'Mmm… wow crack dragons…'

Not that I'm addicted, or anything, you understand.

Oh, and i can post from work again! Yey!

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Right, Tal - you can stop any time, it's your choice, yadda yadda yadda. We've heard it all before. :P

I played WoW for a while. It was fun. But not $13-15 / month fun.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

Arch, it's because you were playing a game built on the MMO factor, except you were looking for a single player game. I don't know why you're surprised the game wasn't that fun for you if you were just looking for a solo experience. :P

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

A computer only supports one player at a time with reasonable fluidity! All computer games should be geared toward a single player! It only makes sense! Having huge multiplayer games for the computer is like having an eight-player game for the NES! It's madness!

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

Or, you just don't have friends who play WoW. :P

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Hmm, eight player NES games... Did it really go up that high? I can't remember, it's been awhile since I'd seen my satellite last.

Oh and, Tal, SWG really was that bad.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

Yeah, there were 8-player NES games.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

K, I thought so but I wasn't sure. I could remember playing with four people on World Championship Soccer, but I couldn't remember if we had five or six or not (there are six people in my family).

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

:raisedbrow:

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Allow me to clarify, I knew for certain there were four player games but I wasn't sure if there were more than that (in terms of players, I mean) if that makes any sense...

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

You do realize that despite all the WoW crack candy you could have probably just replaced the Power supply in your old unit and saved yourself the money and the addiction.
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Yeah, my NES doesn't have any of the peripherals or other stuff to allow four-player games... not that I have any four-player games, anyway.

I need to get a high-paying job, so I can get a lot of money, so I can make a hobby out of collecting NES games.

Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

On the note of new PCs, I received mine today.

Why don't we have a "drool" emoticon?

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

I reserve the right to bash on anyone who plays WoW, particularly those who give up their jobs so they can play it. The trouble with Wow, is that whenever you are NOT playing you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. It is in your interest to play every possible second bar the when the fatigue timer means you make less XP or something...

I'm not saying Wow wasn't good - it's possibly too good, which is what makes it dangerous.

That said I genuinely found it a bit boring - though I didn't have any friends who were playing at the time so that might not have helped. Most people at the time weren't particularly friendly and were generally too busy grinding to help a new player out...

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

For god sakes, bash the ones who gave up their jobs to play WoW full time they're the ones who deserve it. There are still plenty of people who only play it casually like me (every now and again, but I haven't been on for almost half a year now). Also, depending on what you want out of the game, you are never at a disadvantage in WoW unless you take it waaay too seriously and are very competitive. Hardcore PvPers and Raiders on the only ones who have to play the game night and day as though it were a job. Some of us just like to go online with our friends every now and then. And finally, the fact that you clearly don't like WoW and have some very obvious prejudices about it (ignorant though some of them may be) does not give you the right to come on these forums and be insulting. Seriously, dude, you just compared Tal to a freaking heroin addict and then implied that he should do something "more worthwhile with his life" and you don't even know him for crying out loud!

Edit:

FYI a little point of clarification, you get rest XP when you are in an inn and not logged into the game. If you are gone for like a week or something you get two full bars of rest XP (two full levels) and what that allows you to do is accumulate twice as much experience from killing monsters allowing you to keep up with friends who probably play the game more. Just in case you were wondering where you may have been wrong in some of your observations.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa »

SmokeMare wrote:The trouble with Wow, is that whenever you are NOT playing you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. It is in your interest to play every possible second bar the when the fatigue timer means you make less XP or something...
Wrong and uninformed. Do some research before you make a blanket statement. Do you also troll the WoW forums? Your post reeks of the "logic" posted there. In addition, with said attitude that Pryde mentioned, I should come on here and bash religious beliefs, or lack thereof. Same thing.

Edit

I get it now! I know what you're saying! The amount of enjoyment someone derives from an activity (and therefore the value of said activity) is determined solely by your standards and values! It makes sense now!

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

You're treading thin ice there, Balsa. :P

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Sorry, I was not trying to come across that strong - I was hoping it would come across as a little tongue-in-cheek humour. The reality is, I am very impressed by WoW, and I knew it would be everything it is loooooong before the beta even. Blizzard only release very highly polished, non-buggy, deeply involving and interesting games. Now people were getting addicted to Everquest which seemed to be thrown together by a few numpties who were good at network code and had played D & D and read Lord of the Rings. In my mind Wow would be an interesting thing to observe unfolding. There HAVE been some very interesting things related to Wow, like when the blood plague happened and epidemiologists were interested in monitoring peoples behaviour - it mirrored real life. The addiction scandals, the violence when people have done things with their friends items or accounts or something.

What Blizzard did was make something very, very good that was of a genre which was addictive enough even when the game was a pile of poo. I know it's unfair to compare people who play Wow to Heroin addicts, I was hoping that wouldn't be taken too seriously. I still think it's a dangerous game to play because it's the sort of game that, hmmm... How can I put it? You play Gears of War or Resident Evil or anything like that - you can pause the game and pick up where you left off later. With Wow, if you play with a group of friends and one of you can't play for a while, where the rest of you are regularly playing 5 hours a night - You will find it hard to play with that group as they will have advanced significantly more and need to play in other areas to level most efficiently.

I suppose it's something that either works for you or doesn't - the game with no end game. I found myself very drawn in to these games, when SWG came out I wish it had come out two or three years previously when I was single and had more time to invest. Now SWG is borked of course. I played the ten day trial of Wow, made a couple of characters and it was sort of fun, and it felt very polished. I didn't feel I had enough time to explore the mechanics so I made a clone server and mucked about single player with it for a while, and playing with no other players at all - having the server to myself highlighted a problem, the game is essentially totally reliant on you have some level of social interaction in it. I suppose really a choice to play Wow is a choice to join a community, and what you get from that community will only really become something worthwhile when you;ve been playing for long enough.

Anyway - I could talk about the pros and cons of Wow for days, ultimately I'm really not being that serious. If anything I am making a complimentary jest about the fact that Blizzard made an MMORPG which was good enough for you to tongue-in-cheek compare a player to a heroin addict.

Having read my posts this probably didn't come over very clearly. I'm afraid it's just my dry, slightly satirical wit, that comes from too many years on the clock, too much time spent:-
  • Smoking Pot
  • Playing Games
  • Thinking about how absurd and crap life is
  • Worrying about crap like money, failure, the futility of life
  • Trying to come up with a reasonably sensible method of committing suicide - current front runner is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, two or three breaths at the right concentration brings unconsciousness, two or three minutes death- it's a serious contender
All in all I apolagise sincerely, for any offence caused.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Try comparing WoW to heroin next time, it essentially means the same thing (WoW = heroin = WoW players are heroin addicts) but it's indirect and less personal than directly comparing someone to a heroin addict. Also, don't use the phrase "more worthwhile with your/his/her/their life" because when you say that you're making the assumption that the person you're talking to has not already done something worthwhile with their lives. That, coupled with the personal nature of the joke, is what gave me and others (possibly) the wrong impression. It's very easy to inadvertently insult people while being sardonic, just try to choose your words more carefully.

Xanamiar

Post by Xanamiar »

*Important News Update*

We have found out that the computer in question, didn't die of natural causes, in fact it was murdered!... *duhn duhn duhn*

We are on the tracks of the so-called Computer serial Killer, we are sorry for not having more information at this time, but the killer is very crafty. We will keep you informed as we stay on the tracks of this killer.

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

Yikes! Little bit of tension here then?

Actually I'm quite happy comparing wow to heroin, or any other addictive substance, love, alcohol, SWE, ect… I actually think for me there are a lot of similarities with SWE, because no matter how many times I wander off I always end up coming back for more.

Although there is a danger with any of those that they can take over real life, and do NOT try wow when you're in a relationship. I had a friend who pretty much ended up ignoring his girlfriend because he was addicted to Rome: Total War. Now times that by a thousand and you have the WOW factor!

:P

Although I'd rather be addicted to WOW than one of those anoying little shits who play Halo 24/7 and can pull of a headshot in a nonosecond. :)

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

TalRaimi wrote:Yikes! Little bit of tension here then?

Actually I'm quite happy comparing wow to heroin, or any other addictive substance, love, alcohol, SWE, ect… I actually think for me there are a lot of similarities with SWE, because no matter how many times I wander off I always end up coming back for more.

Although there is a danger with any of those that they can take over real life, and do NOT try wow when you're in a relationship. I had a friend who pretty much ended up ignoring his girlfriend because he was addicted to Rome: Total War. Now times that by a thousand and you have the WOW factor!

:P

Although I'd rather be addicted to WOW than one of those anoying little shits who play Halo 24/7 and can pull of a headshot in a nonosecond. :)
Now that that's sorted out - care to join in on the Jedi Temple Thread?

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

*Sigh* If i must. Although i'm still ploughing my way through someones mammoth post!

Mmm... mammoth's... they have them in Warcraft...

Wait! Must... not... get... distracted.

:mrgreen:

SmokeMare
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Sorry dude... Guess you have some catching up to do eh ?

TalRaimi

Post by TalRaimi »

Hehe, no worries.

I'm finished now all i need to do is post, but i'm at work and only really have time to write these short posts. I'll get it done tonight. Promise.

coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

I played WoW off and on for almost two years till I finally canned my account, the reality of it is that WoW is only fun when you're playing with friends or at least friendly people. The problem is that as Smoke said if you aren't playing the same amount of time those "friends" are you won't be playing with them for long because the game severely discourages intermingling of the levels and if you don't play as much as your friends then they will inevitably get ahead of you and once they're ahead of you nothing short of them stopping long enough for you to catch up or power leveling you will bridge that gap.

This was why I stopped playing, I could never get consistent people to play with given my play habits and thus the game became a never ending chore that I eventually grew completely tired of and thusly retired from.
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron