Dragon Age: An Apostates Tale

Unrelated stories that take place in a setting besides Star Wars...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Pryngles

Re: Dragon Age: An Apostates Tale

Post by Pryde »

"We're not going to be able to stay here for long," Sera said, stilling leaning against the wall under the window.

"I don't see why not," Tristan answered, "We can bar the door to keep 'em out and we've got plenty of provisions to last a short while."

Sera resisted the urge to slap her forehead with her palm. "Tristan, this cabin is made out of wood."

"I know that," the Templar said, giving her a curious look, "Why is that even relevant?"

"Wood burns, Tristan," she said, stealing another peek through the peep hole in the window, "We'll be fine as long as the rain holds out but if they really want to kill us that badly all they have to do is wait."

Tristan seemed shocked. "They'd set a few in the middle of the woods?"

"In the middle of the clearing," Sera corrected him, "The fire will die out long before it reaches the trees."

She glanced at the sleeping form of the wounded man Tristan had dragged in earlier. He was moaning softly now but he was not yet awake. "We're not going to make it very far if we have to carry him."

"I'm not leaving him behind," Tristan told her firmly.

Sera wanted to smack him but for the moment she restrained herself. "Damn it, Tristan, why do you always have to assume the worst about me? When did I say we should leave him behind?"

"Then what are you suggesting?"

"I'm suggesting that... You know what, forget it," she answered in frustration, "Just take care of him while I get us out of here."

She stood and cracked open the cabin door slightly. "What are you doing," Tristan demanded but Sera ignored him.

"Felas! Felas," she shouted from beside the door, "Ar'din nuvenin na'din!"

Tristan was stunned, "You know Elvish?"

"Only a little," Sera said, "My father taught it to me."

There was a moment of silence outside the cabin and then a reply came from the woods. "Ma halam, Shem! Ar tu na'lin emma mi!"

"What did he say," Tristan asked from where he sat beside the sleeping stranger.

"He wants to talk," Sera lied. She understood the Dailish's threat to kill them but she wasn't going to wait around to be burned out of the house and then shot. "Wait here with him, I'll be fine."

Before he could object she cracked open the door even more. "I'm coming out," she shouted, "Don't shoot, I'm unarmed!"

She raised her hands above her head then stepped outside, praying to the Maker the Dailish would not shoot...

Post by Halcyon508 »

Tristan tended to the youth as Sera walked outside. He kept his eyes on her as she walked into the open area. No Dalish came to meet her, nor did an arrow pierce her. The young man's attention was drawn away by a groan. Looking down he noticed his patient starting to come to. The boys eyes opened up wide. "Don't try to move." Tristan said softly.

"Who are you?" The boy asked.

"Tristan Pentestre." He replied.

"Alexandre Sebastian DuVal." They shook hands. "Tristan? What's happening?" He added looking around at the dismal cabin.

"We found you wounded on the road and brought you here." Tristan said stating the fact. "But the Dalish that raided your wagon are outside keeping us in. My companion went outside to talk them down."

"They will kill her!" He yelled quickly.

"She speaks their language and they asked her out to talk."

"No they didn't!" Alexandre said a little more urgently, "They can't be reasoned with, they have been cursed!"

Tristan stood and ran to the door. As he got there he darted out and ran at Sera just as a hail of arrows started to pour just as the rain.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Sera suddenly found herself tackled under Tristan's weight as a hail of arrows fell upon them. He blocked as many as he could with his shield but some fell past his defense and buried themselves in the dirt beside Sera's exposed arm. "Tristan, what are you--," she started to say but he never gave her the chance to finish before he picked her up and dragged her behind a pile of logs.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He shouted at her.

"Me, you were the one who--,"

"These Dailish are cursed," he continued, interrupting her again, "They could have killed you!"

Sera gave him a hard look. "And how do you know that?"

He jerked his head back towards the cabin where the wounded stranger was carefully peeking out the window to check on them. "Why did you lie to me? Were you trying to get yourself killed?"

"Not that it should matter to you," she said, crossing her arms and averting her eyes. The word 'witch' spoken in Tristan's voice still rang in her ears. "Dailish may be stubborn but they can usually be reasoned with."

"I'm not sure these are Dailish--not anymore."

"Of course they're Dailish," Sera replied and her tone sounded harsher than he expected, "Or is it that because they're cursed they're no longer people?"

Tristan's thoughts wavered. "I--no, that's not what I meant."

"We're not killing them," she said firmly, "If it's a curse it can be dispelled. We just need to figure out how."

Post by Halcyon508 »

Tristan stopped all thought as they ducked behind the logs. "We need more information." He said, "Was the lad speaking literally or metaphorically. What type of curse? Who caused it? There has to be a motive and we need to find it!" He raised his shield up high deflecting another volley of arrows, "Go inside on my say so." He said as a vine slowly slithered up his leg and latched onto him locking him in place. Tristan slashed with his sword and cut it, "Magic." he exclaimed as more vines sprung up like weeds around him. "You can't be here for this, get answers and them come back to save these people." He paused seeing a rustling in the bushes, "Now go!" Tristan yelled as three Dalish charged from the treeline, "And it does matter to me."

The man pushed the girl towards the cabin door and ran headlong into the charging warriors. Each carried a leaf shaped shield and long swords the same as the one Tristan had found. They may be crazed, cursed, and blood thirsty, but that didn't make them stupid. As Tristan aproached a hail of arrows made him raise his shield causing him to open up his unprotected underbelly. His cursed the witch that destroyed his breastplate leaving him exposed as he quickly parried a sword with his own blade followed by smashing his shield down onto the sword of another attacker. Roots sprung up from the earth forcing the youth to dive sidewise in order to avoid a whipping blow from the thick wood. Good. He thought as he saw them. That means the mage is close The elves pursued him as he made for the treeline and the source of the magic. They were fast, but he was well practiced at sprinting in his armor and was able to confront the twisted Dalish Shaman. "No more tricks!" he yelled as a light pulsed around him. As the circle of blue flame ignited around him it shocked the mage and knocked back both her and the warriors giving him chase. The roots stopped their movement and sunk back into the earth. Turning now to the Warriors he attacked. Too much time away from close combat was an open invitation for the archers to continue letting loose their missiles. He engaged the elves and fought furiously hoping to buy Sera the time she needed to devise a method to lift this supposed curse...
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani