Things Learned from Official New Canon

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Things Learned from Official New Canon

Post by Nichalus »

Currently reading Bloodlines, and figured I would throw out some things learned that we could incorporate into our stories. The story is set 20 years after the defeat of the Imperials

In New Republic Politics there are:

POPULISTS - who believe individual planets should retain almost all authority.
CENTRISTS - who favor a stronger galactic government and a more powerful Military.

Leia is a Populists.
Han owned his own shipping company.

Han and Leia 'were' married at this time.

On the Planet Theron there is a prestigious piloting championship known as the Five Sabers, which tested skills on everything from starfighter atmospheric runs to hyperspace orienteering, that Han was in charge of enforcing the rules.

The Hutts have lost most of their power, and the Niktos, who served the Hutts of the past, Cartels are filling the gap. One of whom is led by Kajain'sa'Nikto, known as Rinnrivin Di, operating in part from the planet Bastatha. Already the cartel "rivals that of any of the most powerful Hutts at the zenith of their influence."

Ryloth, home of the Twi'leks, is NOT a part of the New Republic.

((More as I continue reading))
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Re: Things Learned from Official New Canon

Post by Red Dragon »

Intresting
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

How do I know this bloodlines nonsense is nonsense?

Han was in charge of enforcing rules for something.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Post by Nichalus »

Mir wrote:How do I know this bloodlines nonsense is nonsense?

Han was in charge of enforcing rules for something.
But there 'his' rules. So you know there really wasn't any. :P

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Maybe Han was enforcing rules so that he would have rules to break? Maybe in the new canon rules are hard to come by.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Post by Vaemar »

I like this little political party type thing.
"War isn't about dying for your country, it's about making the other bastard die for his." - General George S. Patton
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

I picked up Bloodlines yesterday, primarily because it seems to be the only bit of Nu Canon to actually tell you what's going on in the galaxy.

It also seems there's been 20 plus years of peace and the Galactic Civil War is very much in the past. There's a new generation who never new the tyrany of the Empire and never experianced war.
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'

Post by Nichalus »

Most moviegoers are aware that Luke and Leia are the offspring of Darth Vader, but in the Star Wars universe, it’s a fact that only a few individuals know. It’s a secret that Leia keeps buried in her personal vault, only telling Han after hearing the truth from Luke. Even Ben Solo doesn’t know his complete family history well into his 20s. It’s repeatedly said that Han and Leia did that for his benefit, but it obviously backfired in every conceivable way. And chances are, the future Kylo Ren learned of his heritage in a truly agonizing manner that may have only fueled his eventual turn to the Dark Side.

In Bloodline, the entire New Republic senate learns of the Skywalker twins’ biological parentage when Centrists broadcast the information publicly in an attempt to undermine Leia’s growing political power. It’s news that spreads like wildfire across the galaxy and emotionally wrecks Leia. While some loyal allies stand by her side, there are many who shun her. Others are literally physically repulsed by the revelation. In a rushed attempt to make things right, Leia records a message for Ben confessing the truth, without knowing if it will ever reach her son. Theoretically, Ben learned of this through a public holo broadcast. From the sound of it, his parents were too preoccupied with their own interests to pay him much attention. Finding out you’re the descendant of pure evil and your loved ones kept it a secret for so long is probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Post by Nichalus »

The First Order is the brainchild of Lady Carise Sindian, a Centrist senator from the planet Arkanis

The Rev.

Post by Shaggy »

well crap, I need to get this book now
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Nichalus wrote:The First Order is the brainchild of Lady Carise Sindian, a Centrist senator from the planet Arkanis
And here I thought it was all Snoke. The Republic must be more corrupt than I thought. :raisedbrow:
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

I’m about 80% through Bloodlines now and I have to say I’m not massively impressed. While it’s nice at least that the political situation is explained this is yet another book that seems to be ‘filler’ and from what little I’ve read and other people have told me, this is a recurring theme in Disney’s Canon.

With the exception of explaining that there are two political parties it does very little to add anything to the universe. New species and planets are mentioned but not actually described in any great details, both physically and culturally. No new tech of any notability is brought in – X Wings are mentioned but the author doesn’t even give you the model number of the ship. We’re too assume these are T-70’s?

Leia and one other character aside, the rest of the supporting cast are pretty two dimensional. You never see Leia with Han apart from a couple of long distance phone calls; he’s apparently become a hot shot ‘Racer’ since the war ended and now oversees these Races. A concept that sets me cringing for some reason. I can only assume they decided not to put Han on the book because they can make more money by having a seperate book just about him.

All in all the books smacks of the Disney execs laying down the borders that the author can operate in. This book was written before the Force Awakens came out apparently and before the author had even seen a script and it really shows.

I fully admit that when it comes to the old EU I tend to look at it through rose tinted glasses, but at the time it was something unique, it was THE continuation of the Star Wars movies. Each author advanced the plot forward and had to fit their work in what had already come before. It had a lot more free reign that the stuff we’re getting now which seems to be along the lines of don’t describe too much of anything because we’re not sure what’s going to be in the movies yet.

The stories interesting to a point, but much like TFA there’s little depth of be had here.
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'