Our Cannon Discussion

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Our Cannon Discussion

Post by Red Dragon »

SPOILERS AHEAD

The object of this tread is to talk about what we saw, liked and disliked and maybe put together a loose roadmap on where we want to take our cannon to.

So, I'm very disappointed with Disney's movies. There is a lot about it that just rubs me wrong, So much that I can't list it all. But here is a few.

Hyperspace Ramming: I feel this can only be done out in open space well away from gravity wells and if the safeties had been disabled.

Hyperspace "skipping": When i saw this and nearly yelled bullshit out loud in the theater. I feel like they were trying to put a new spin on Micro jumps but he was going from planet to planet, inside atmosphere, inside landscapes that required dodging and maneuvering. Why the Falcon didn't end up atomized can only be explained as "The rule of cool!"

Lazy Xyston-class design: When/if this class is introduced here, we use one of the concept art one from the art book, like the red one, or stick to eclipse class. I feel there should only be like a hand full of them too, not hundreds/thousands. Then have them BACKED UP by a few thousand or so of Sith upgraded ISDs. ( Make it that palpy had many more built during his reign then anyone thought and had many of the known ones simply disappear shortly after endor.)

First Order: I'm sure everyone thought that this militant group during the first movie was small and had to rely on starkiller base to make a military move against the NR. But then we are told that there fleet was as big if not bigger then the Empires during its height. I think we should keep them a small group, and have their fleet only just larger then the task force we saw during the 2nd movie that was chasing after the Raddus. Thus making the Resistance's destruction of star killer actually make them out to be a much more creditable threat to the FO's plans.

I like to think that Starkiller base taking out the NR capital, the bulk of its fleet and the preemptive political ground work effectively splinters the NR much like what happened to the empire in legends, and the one person left that has the possibility to reunite it would be Leia, giving the FO another reason to chase after the resistance. It would be a torn apart galaxy at this point, a lot of back stabbing, trust issues between States. Maintained by the FO through politics and information controlling. A big tech i would have them develop wouldn't be "hyperspace tracking" but communications control. Them being able to completely block the Resistance's call for help from D'Qar/Crait wasn't received. That is how great the tech is, they didn't even have to be there to block the transmission and with out the resistance even knowing it was blocked.

Luke and Ben: Sith/knights of Ren attacked the conclave, Luke and Ben survived. The thing where Ben seems to be slipping to the Dark side is still a thing BUT Luke dose not act like he did in the movie, I feel he instead finally realizes that there is a dark influence tugging at Ben's mind, Thats what triggers the attack, like they were waiting for what happened in the movie but this happened instead. Luke and Ben are at odds for a bit but luke does something like he did with his father, ( i won't fight you, you are good i can feel it. Don't let the emperor/ this darkness twist you like it twisted your grandfather.) This is more like Luke then what the 2nd movie gave us. Ben gains new resolve, which helps block out palpy/snork and Luke does the rest then they both go into exile to Ahch-To, To train Ben and prepare to take the fight to the Sith.

On a side note we could have it that Luke took a wife or at the very least had a child, known or unknown to him, unknown to the galaxy at large with Mara and their story together can mirror Legends, with changes to fit the narrative. If we wanted to go a darker route we could even have it that they died during the attack on his temple, or presumed dead...

On another side note, Rey's introduction/Adventures can roughly remain the same except there is no interactions between her and Ben because Ben would never be apart of the FO. Or maybe we keep the "connection" they have, It seemed to me that snoke had a hand in it, at least they wanted to be that way or snoke liked to think/ make them think it was him, but in the third movie it looked more like a natural thing between them due to the life sharing ability they both seemed to have. So here are a pair of teens who meet each other in their "dreams" and ... yeah, I'm not trying to "ship" them together but i also think it be kinda good story telling if at the end the two blood lines, skywalker and palpy, end up together. *Shrug*

So tell me what do you think about the movies, my ideas and your ideas, lets get this Discussion rolling and spark our writing into new life! :D
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Pryngles

Re: Our Cannon Discussion

Post by Pryde »

There's a lot I don't like about the new canon. I don't like what they did with Rey, I really hate what they did to the ENTIRE Skywalker clan. I don't think they made the Knights of Ren a credible threat at all. The one time they actually did something they were slaughtered. The Force dyad thing was utter nonsense, as someone pointed out in an article I read they had Jacen and Jaina literally right flippin' there! If they wanted those two to have a connection in the Force THAT would have been the best way to do it.

And having a Palpatine save the day in what was SUPPOSED to be the SKYWALKER saga is just complete bullshit! :mad1:
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Post by Red Dragon »

thats why i feel we can fix a lot of that, liekthe Knights of Ren take the lace of Ben in the FO, skywalkers get a better part... Rey gets few fixs
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I'm not a huge fan of the new canon, but I'm not very partial to putting my head in the sand and pretending it didn't happen. Plus, there aren't really a whole lot of us now so I'm kind of hesitant to make large sweeping changes to it that'll make people go whaaa? if they ever come back.

Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Also, we're two years before The Force Awakens so we've got quite some time before we catch up with Rise of Skywalker. Three years if the timeline I read is correct. Takes five years for Luke and the rebellion to defeat the Empire, Rey got it done in one. >.>

Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Re: Hyperspace ramming and skipping -- to me, ramming was another in the long list of things Rian Johnson just... didn't think about, and had no one on his team to tell him was dumb. Skipping was, in my opinion, an obvious "f*** you, Rian" (along with most of the first act of RoS), but it also had roots in Abrams' TFA "come out of Hyperspace magically inside the shields of Starkiller Base" thing. (I mean, if that were a thing, that's obviously what the small craft would have done in Return of the Jedi to destroy the second Death Star, instead of the extremely risky infiltration and sabotage with no way to contact the fleet that would soon show up and would be completely obliterated if the sabotage mission failed thing.) (Second sidenote: as far as ramming goes, everyone's like, "Why didn't they just sacrifice people to destroy huge enemy fleets in the past?" and I'm like, "Dude! Hyperdrive-enabled missiles! Helloooooo! They just have to be rocks with engines on them!")

As much as I disliked some of the filmmaking of the sequel trilogy, and some of the obvious continuity errata (intentional or otherwise), I don't necessarily agree with modifying the canon at whim to fit "our" Star Wars. The old MBT was spun off from the end of the (then) last movie, RotJ, so we tossed (almost) all the Expanded Universe events altogether. But tossing the sequels is like tossing the prequels, which I'm not sure we ever did.

But I haven't posted IC here in like five years, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

Another ghost here, I don't think I've posted in over two years so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Personally I dislike almost all of the Disney canon. The films are dumb, ill conceived, and what I've read of the 'EU' stuff is restricted and feels small scale because there is no plan for where to take franchise. They've take what used to be a huge playground full of exciting toys and made it feel small and cramped.

That said, it is canon whether we like it or not, so I agree with Pryde and Arch, I don't see the point of picking and choosing the good bits and still have it follow the timeline. Admittedly you could do a time jump to post ROS and pick up from there... which thanks of the creative banruptcy of Disney/Lucasfilm ends you up in a similar place to the end of ROTJ. But I don't really think it's worth it.

There's still the old MBT, and also the stories forum to play around with. As for me, if I ever get writing again, I'll probably play around on one of those two boards and stick to legends as my 'canon.' Anyhow, nice to see the old place isn't completely dead yet!
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
The one and only Stoban

Post by VagueDurin »

Tal has spoken.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Technically, Tal has typed.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

He might have spoken too. Maybe he read aloud as he was typing. Like in the movies. ;)

Daughter of Epona

Post by Starlight »

This thread derailed in only what, 6 posts? I’m so freaking proud, y’all still got it :P
Keep your confessions,
Cause babe, I’m no saint.
I know your devils,
I know them by name.
'Will finish a thread one day…'

Post by TalRaimi »

Derailed indeed. I feel I shouln't have said anything.... I mean written anything... Or both? Does my inner monalogue count as speaking?
'Would you do it with me, heal the scars and change the stars?'
The one and only Stoban

Post by VagueDurin »

Derailing is the way. :fett:

Post by Xanamiar »

Any time a story is on rails it must be derailed. This is the way! ... I have spoken!